1Zpresso K series buying advice.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
alarsen77

#1: Post by alarsen77 »

I currently have a Baratza Virtuoso that I use strictly for pour over (V60, Origami w/kalita filters, and Chemex). I was looking to upgrade my grinder and was thinking about the Ode, but then decided on a good hand grinder for portability reasons since I bring it to work with me. So I have pretty much decided on the 1zpresso K series grinders.

I even went ahead and ordered a K-Pro from amazon that should be arriving today. I went with the K-Pro because it was $30 less than the Max was and I didn't really care one way or the other about the magnetic vs screw-on catch cup. But I noticed that on 1zpresso's website when I was looking around they don't have the K-Pro in their store. So I emailed them about it and was told that the K-Pro will be "discontinued in the future" and if I wanted to buy one get it from amazon.

So that is making me wonder if I should be worried about having this model over the Max strictly for service/parts in the future. I am not sure what the expectancy of the burrs are on these hand grinders and if it makes sense to replace them or not? I am not bothered by the screw-on catch cup of the Pro at all. I actually kind of like how it will be more secure. I know there probably isn't much to worry about with the magnetic catch cup on the Max but it still makes me worry. So at that point the only positives for the Max are it's newer and not likely being discontinued and I like the color of the Max a bit better.

I know it is ultimately my decision but I am new to hand grinders and not sure if replacing burrs is something you do with them or if it doesn't make sense to do that at all? I would like to just stick with the Pro, but wasn't sure if it is something I should really worry about?

iyayy

#2: Post by iyayy »

as long as you dont drop it, i dont see any issues there?
mine is 1.5year+, closing to 2.
i daily grind 35g+ espresso, and some brews. after zeroing at same spot i can use the same settings on a previously dialled beans (i already started keeping excel sheets). i rarely buy same 200g beans (never more) again unless i miss the flavor or wanted to retest, never had to readjusts when going back. i take from dark to very light roasts, but tend to med-light to light mostly. depends on mood.
it still grinds well even today. i remember noticing some unpleasant note within first 2months, and it became very tasty and consistent afterwards.
as you can see below burrs still looks very good beside my new arco (black).

alarsen77 (original poster)

#3: Post by alarsen77 (original poster) replying to iyayy »

Thanks for that detailed information. So you have the K-Pro? How do you think it compares to the Arco?

iyayy

#4: Post by iyayy replying to alarsen77 »

yes i have both, and have stopped using the arco.

other than arco's solid unibody, everything else is much refined and precise on 1z. fine accurate satisfying click settings, how smooth the lever slides into the shaft, solid even all metal construction, grind particle consistency, and taste. k-burr will give more complex flavor and acids are less sour, but at same time can never be as thick as arco. some like that thick goeeyness, i'll take delicacy and aroma. flavor intensity can be dialled too be similar.

for dialling in, i didnt find the arco 60clicks useful, always have to do 3clicks or so when adjusting to see changes. its also not aligned to the numbers/markings, you can read further in arco thread under grinders. i also dont like its plastic catch cup.

suprisingly with the less number of clicks on the k, i find it easier to get to the nearest target time/yield and fine tune dose by +-0.5~1g to reach optimum flavor.

overall 1z gives soo much elegant and better experience, it made me feel the arco hand grinding option is just there as extras or sales gimmick. i dont have the motor btw, but i dont recommend going arco without it.

#5: Post by alarsen77 (original poster) »

iyayy wrote:yes i have both, and have stopped using the arco.

other than arco's solid unibody, everything else is much refined and precise on 1z. fine accurate satisfying click settings, how smooth the lever slides into the shaft, solid even all metal construction, grind particle consistency, and taste. k-burr will give more complex flavor and acids are less sour, but at same time can never be as thick as arco. some like that thick goeeyness, i'll take delicacy and aroma. flavor intensity can be dialled too be similar.

for dialling in, i didnt find the arco 60clicks useful, always have to do 3clicks or so when adjusting to see changes. its also not aligned to the numbers/markings, you can read further in arco thread under grinders. i also dont like its plastic catch cup.

suprisingly with the less number of clicks on the k, i find it easier to get to the nearest target time/yield and fine tune dose by +-0.5~1g to reach optimum flavor.

overall 1z gives soo much elegant and better experience, it made me feel the arco hand grinding option is just there as extras or sales gimmick. i dont have the motor btw, but i dont recommend going arco without it.
I wasn't even thinking about the Arco and probably wouldn't go that route. I am pretty set on the 1zpresso K series. I think I will stick with the K-Pro then. I just wasn't sure if I should worry about the Pro being discontinued and switch the Max? The Pro will arrive later today I will open it and see what I think of the screw-on cup and maybe decide from there. Can always return it to Amazon and order the Max instead.

GregoryJ

#6: Post by GregoryJ »

Many manufacturers rate their burrs for >1000 lbs. If we are pessimistic and assume the K-series burrs can only do 500 lbs, that's ~60g per day for 10 years. If you use an electric drill or get a rock caught in them it might shorten their lifespan a little bit.

Edit: just checked their FAQ and they said 100-200kg for the burr lifetime, so you can only grind 30g per day for 10 years :)

MCal2003

#7: Post by MCal2003 »

Like the OP, purchased the K-Pro couple days ago at AMZ when I saw the limited inventory. Didn't realize it will be discontinued. Based on the reviews, the K series internally are more or less identical. Assuming the burr, drive shaft, bearings are identical. Outside of trashing the catch cup. Do not think replacement parts will be too much of an issue if needed. NZ for espresso. Macap M7 sitting in storage as backup espresso grinder. KP purchased for use as a V60 coffee grinder. Burr will probably outlast this old person.

1Zpresso has a relatively large line of grinders. Guessing again. The Pro may be a slow seller with the introduction of other K series models. Our benefit. The discounted price at AMZ.
LMWDP #151

cibby
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by cibby »

Fwiw I'm a huge fan of the KPlus and it's magnetic cup.

#9: Post by alarsen77 (original poster) »

Thanks for the replies. Even though the burrs would probably outlast my use of the grinder. I decided to return mine before using it and will order the K-Max. I like the iron gray of the K-Max more and even though the magnetic cup worries me a bit I like the idea and ease of it.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#10: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave replying to alarsen77 »

I have a K-Max. The magnetic cup drop really isn't an issue if you are paying attention. Of course sometimes you aren't caffeinated so maybe you aren't paying attention :o . Just keep your hand away from the catch cup and the grinder away from anything you might bump it against. I prefer the magnet to the screw on fwiw.