1Zpresso K series buying advice. - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
MCal2003

#11: Post by MCal2003 »

Even though I purchased the K-Pro, the K-Max is my personal favorite of the K lineup. For looks the gunmetal gray. For capacity when V60ing couple cups. Find the K-Plus dose dispenser thing a bit unnecessary. Marketing gimmick to promote sales??? Didn't quite work so they came out with the Max? Just speculation. Haven't touched a K-Max, but it seems like the magnetic system really holds well unless you twist the bottom cup. If they are using rare earth type of magnets I cannot see you pulling the cup straight off. Can you pull the cup straight off? K-Pro for overall value at the AMZ pricing and I only V60 single cups.
LMWDP #151

alarsen77 (original poster)

#12: Post by alarsen77 (original poster) replying to MCal2003 »

Yeah I had the K-Pro that I got on Amazon and looking at the catch cup it looked a bit small for when I do a 32-35g dose. I also love the gun metal look of the Max. Haven't ordered one yet but hoping to soon. Really looking forward to seeing how it compares to my Baratza Virtuoso.

I have thought about the J-Max instead of the K-Max for if I do ever get into espresso. But it seems so many prefer the K series by a decent margin over the J series for pour over. Since I'm strictly pour over and don't see espresso in the near future I think I'll stick with the K-Max but the $40 savings with the J-Max is nice too

#13: Post by alarsen77 (original poster) »

I ordered the K-Max from Amazon today. Should be here sometime tomorrow. So most likely Fridays coffee will be the test for it. Really looking forward to it. I actually just got some new beans too. Anchorhead Costa Rica El Cedral Natural. I noticed that these beans have a very clean (as in very little chaff) grind compared to my last beans. It has been some of the better coffee I've made in a while. Looking forward to see if the K-Max improves the cup a lot.

#14: Post by alarsen77 (original poster) »

My K- Max showed up today. Brewed my first V60 using James Hoffman's method. I used a setting of 7 which seemed to be similar to my Virtuoso setting I've been using. The coffee was very smooth and clean. I very much enjoyed the results and I am looking forward to more cups with this grinder.

thirdcrackfourthwave

#15: Post by thirdcrackfourthwave »

MCal2003 wrote:Even though I purchased the K-Pro, the K-Max is my personal favorite of the K lineup. For looks the gunmetal gray. For capacity when V60ing couple cups. Find the K-Plus dose dispenser thing a bit unnecessary. Marketing gimmick to promote sales??? Didn't quite work so they came out with the Max? Just speculation. Haven't touched a K-Max, but it seems like the magnetic system really holds well unless you twist the bottom cup. If they are using rare earth type of magnets I cannot see you pulling the cup straight off. Can you pull the cup straight off? K-Pro for overall value at the AMZ pricing and I only V60 single cups.
Yes, it is not difficult to pull the cup straight off.

MCal2003

#16: Post by MCal2003 replying to thirdcrackfourthwave »

Not sure on the cost difference to 1Zpresso for rare earth vs. reg. magnets. Maybe a future "upgrade". 2,3 or 4 rare earth vs. the many more regular magnets. Less machining for lower number of magnets needed. Might eliminate the accidental cup "drop".

One other potential advantage of the Max. More stable base when just standing on the counter. K-Pro mass is significant. Have an ancient Zass "Turkish" mill. Similar in dimensions, but the K-Pro is 40% heavier. Extra weight feels good. Impressed with the speed the KP grinds for V60. Even new the grind quality is better compared to all the other hand grinders owned.
LMWDP #151

#17: Post by alarsen77 (original poster) replying to MCal2003 »

I was slightly worried about the magnetic catch cup. But I have to say that I am very happy with the K-Max so far. I haven't had any issues with the magnetic catch cup at all. It's never once almost fallen off while grinding.