1ZPresso JX-Pro

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
DamianWarS

#1: Post by DamianWarS »

I'm travelling for 4 months and won't have access to a decent grinder so I'm going to get a manual one. I already have the porlex and hario skerton (purchased when those were the best options) but now I want something better and I'm looking at the 1ZPresso JX-Pro. It's not going to be a daily driver for espresso but I do want it to be useable for espresso however for 4 months it will be the daily driver for filter including cupping.

Some of the things I'm looking at is a larger burr set (and one that isn't so generic or ceramic) fine adjustablity for espresso as well as works well for filter and a durable build (no glass). And I'm looking for more clarity as a cup profile. I keep coming back to the JX-Pro but wondering if there are other grinder others would recommend or if you have the JX-pro how well does it perform?

GregoryJ

#2: Post by GregoryJ »

I'd go for the K-pro if you don't mind the price difference. I think the adjustment is a little nicer, handle is a little longer, and burrs will produce less fines. JX-pro is good for the price though.

Wanted to add, the click size on the K-pro is 22.5um, and gave about 4 sec change to extraction time on my pump machine. JX-pro is 12.5um and I didn't use it with a pump machine but that should be about 2 sec change.

DamianWarS (original poster)

#3: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to GregoryJ »

I suspect the k-plus to have finer steps, but thanks for theinput

GregoryJ

#4: Post by GregoryJ »

K-pro and k-plus have the same steps. But the k-plus has a magnetic catch cup and comes with a case.

#5: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to GregoryJ »

interesting, so the JX-Pro still has finer steps. I know the burrs appear they have different geometry but both 48mm and adjustment is different but I wonder what makes the price higher? the JX series and the K-pro seem to have the same grinds bin. it looks like the K series has heptagonal geometry and the JX series hexagonal which arguably the more the better and maybe this outer ring adjustment assembly is more expensive on the K. But I'm not seeing a huge difference. The JE-plus and JX-pro seem to have the 12.5 micron adjustments. its too bad the K did have it too. the plus with it's blind basket seems quick nice.

JohanR

#6: Post by JohanR »

The way I understand the grind settings information on the 1zpresso page, https://1zpresso.coffee/grindsetting/, the espresso range for the JX-pro is 16 clicks, for the K-pro and K-plus 10 clicks, and for the JE-plus 40 clicks. I have just bought a JX-pro but I have not used it enough to be able to tell how well this coincides with reality.
Johan
Johan

#7: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) replying to JohanR »

the K-plus is really nice, and I love the magnetic grinds bin/blind shaker plus the carry bag which is something that will come in handy when I'm living out of a suitcase for 4 month. the price of +$100 is difficult to justify however and I'm still leaning towards the JX-pro. the 1zpresso has a bit of counter-intuitive naming where the plus models are better than the pro. I always get confused and think it's the other way around. But still in the J series there is the JS/JE/JX, JX-Pro and JE-Plus (where's the JX-Plus or the JE-Pro?) it's hard to really identify what 1zpresso considered their top tier just by the naming.

Abecker

#8: Post by Abecker »

I don't have a manual grinder (yet) but the first FAQ has some good info on their different grinders along with a nice chart. https://1zpresso.coffee/faq/

spressomon

#9: Post by spressomon »

FWIW, my only nit with my then JE-Plus was the 200+ revs to grind ~20g of beans. I would often use my electric drill to power it...but it still took some time. My new Lido OG is about the same # of revs...

Whereas, and admittedly a different animal, my Apollo requires 1/2 or fewer revs...
No Espresso = Depresso

#10: Post by DamianWarS (original poster) »

Abecker wrote:I don't have a manual grinder (yet) but the first FAQ has some good info on their different grinders along with a nice chart. https://1zpresso.coffee/faq/
I've been going off of that one for a bit plus the individual pages. It broadly shows the differences but there are some gaps. I would actually like to see some burr closeups since so many of there models have different burrs which is confusing to me.