1Zpresso J-Max vs. K-Max

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
mioka20

#1: Post by mioka20 »

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new grinder. We have a etzMax Light which works like a charm for espresso, although we basically are cappuccino drinkers only.

Now I understand that the "J" is more suitable for Espresso and the "K" for pour over/filter.

My use cases would be:

1. Light roast espresso with the etzMax and dark roast espresso with the 1zpresso
2. Dark roast espresso with the etzMax and light roast pour over/filter

Now I try to base my decision on pure logic :-)

The "J" works for use case 1 very good, but only good or "ok" for use case 2?

Now the "K" works good or "ok" for use case 1, but very good for use case ??

Basically that would be a draw - but I figured (based on reviews) that the "K" might be better for espresso than the "J" for pour over/filter?

I also checked the Commandante C40 MK4. It seems that it uses 30 microns per click, with red clicks 15 microns. I read that without red clicks, it is not really good at all for espressso? Now the "J" comed with 8,8 microns and the "K" with 22 microns.

Based on that, I am afraid the "K" might have issues with espresso?

I guess I might make it a bit complicated but it would be great if anybody could recommend me which one I should pick :-)

N714

#2: Post by N714 »

From my experience the comndante should be your last choice for espresso

1Z-k good for both and have clearer espresso cup than J
,Clicks are not to big I think you can work with it, i think each click changes shot time by almost 5 sec but you can add or remove a few beans. And it is the easiest for hand grinding.

1Z-J is great for espresso rich body and precise adjustment, for filter its ok it produce more fines than the other two grinders might be a bit muddy.

I hope that helps

mioka20 (original poster)

#3: Post by mioka20 (original poster) »

Thanks!

If a single click on the K-Max means +- 5s - it's fine for me, since I work mostly with 25s,30s and 35s for espresso. Maybe it's then a decision between what's worse for me: having a bit muddy filter coffee or a bit "bodyless" espresso then ;-)

#4: Post by mioka20 (original poster) »

Can anybody confirm that 1 click on the k-max or k-plus equals +- 5 seconds extraction time? I read that it might be around 10 seconds also? 5 seconds would be perfect, but not much more.

Note sure if it's so clear, I mean: Let's say I get 36ml in 25s and I do 1 click (+ or -) will it be around 20s or 30s then? Thanks

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by Pressino »

mioka20 wrote:Can anybody confirm that 1 click on the k-max or k-plus equals +- 5 seconds extraction time?
That's really going to depend on the type of bean and the roast level.

#6: Post by mioka20 (original poster) »

Can you share some examples? Maybe dark roast espresso vs medium or light roast? Cheers

#7: Post by mioka20 (original poster) »

I ordered the K-Max. For dark roast espresso beans 1 click equals 9 seconds, at least for the "Martermühle Autostrada" I have used.

19g in, 18.8g out = 36ml in 21 seconds

What I don't like: 1 click more = 36ml in 12 seconds - though I used only 18g here. So "overfilling" helps a bit.

I guess I could set my leveler to a setting where it compresses a bit more.

Any thoughts on that?

Almost forgot: The taste is really good! It somehow taste more chocolate and nut like than with the etzMax Light. Maybe because it only takes 21 seconds instead of 25-27...