$1900 budget for espresso machine, choose from list - HX or double boiler? - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
goalerjones

#11: Post by goalerjones »

you should look at this one... https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands/l ... l162t.html

Lelit is a very solid company

vizia (original poster)

#12: Post by vizia (original poster) »

I made up my mind and got the ECM Mechanika IV Profi. Exactly fits my needs from a HX machine and could not find a better fit. This is a top-notch HX machine and for a great price, $700 cheaper than the next great DB - Rocket R58. I have spent several days researching and many hours researching every machine I could buy and I am very happy with my choice. Cannot wait to receive it and write about it on this forum. Support has been great! Thanks to all!!
NickWLL wrote:Hi Vizia!

Based on your list here you're giving yourself a good range of options. The convenience of plumbing and inline water filtration options make the Mechanika IV Profi a very attractive choice. However, we've also found that the inclusion of PIDs on heat exchange models like the Pro 500 and Rocket's Type V and Evo R lines makes brew temperatures much more stable and predictable. With the Pro 500 and the Mozzafiato you can use the PID to easily adjust steam temperature (and pressure) directly. This also gives you the ability to affect brew temperature.

The PID machines will make it easier for you to play with variables, while the Mechanika IV will certainly be more convenient once you plumb it. It also depends on which one will look best on your counter. The Rocket and ECM machines have more branded accessories that you can purchase as accouterments.
Hi Nick!
I have settled on a HX since a good DB is out of my budget, hence at least I can get an excellent and reliable top-range HX machine. I've read that top HX machines have stable temperatures so a PID will not be necessary. I therefore prefer a rotary pump and plumbing instead of a PID, and will likely buy Eric's thermometer.

bluesman wrote: This is my second plumbed machine - I can't imagine going back to a reservoir. It's also my first rotary pump, and the wonderful, quiet purr it makes while working makes a vibe pump sound so crude. I chose my ECM HX carefully after considering a Linea Mini and a Synchronika. I'm sooo glad I did! :D
Thank you for your positive feedback on the ECM. I just made the purchase and now only have to wait for 5 business days for delivery.

Bluenoser wrote:
A DB has a more direct path and I think you can count on most DB with PID to be within a degree of of the brew water temp.(from what I read.. no experience).

If you make milk drinks and want 'great' steam, some of the new DB, such as the Pro 600, has the potential of 2bar steam pressure, while most other HX provide 1.2-1.4bar (which still gives very good steam pressure and certainly lots for latte art). I think the feeling is the higher the pressure, the more exquisite the micro-foam can be made, depending on the skill of the steamer. No shot timer on the Pro500 PID, but likely on the 600.

Lelit make one model a 62S-T with a PID, but the PID is not adjustable. The 62T has a PID and is adjustable. Adjustable PIDs make it easier to experiment with brew water temp changes, I think.. With non-PID HX designs, a cooling flush regulates the brew water temp so the PID and non-PID can have slightly different operation in regards to regulating the brew water temp.

For me, the HX was significantly lower in price than the DBs I was considering and so a good value.
The Mechanika IV Profi is only $1770 shipped. The Pro 600 is $2300, a pretty significant difference. Also note that I will only make one to two shots a day. The R58 is $700 over my budget and it's not worth it in my opinion. I will upgrade to a DB in due course (4-5 years) when I have full knowledge of using espresso machines, grinding and beans.

goalerjones wrote:you should look at this one... https://www.bellabarista.co.uk/brands/l ... l162t.html

Lelit is a very solid company
Beautiful machine but unfortunately over my budget. It'll cost me $2500 with VAT and import fees.

TreCime

#13: Post by TreCime »

I think you'll be very happy with your HX. Definitely get Eric's thermometer. With good beans, you're going to enjoy years of great espresso.

kenyabob

#14: Post by kenyabob »

Where did you find the mechanica at that price?

vizia (original poster)

#15: Post by vizia (original poster) »

TreCime wrote:I think you'll be very happy with your HX. Definitely get Eric's thermometer. With good beans, you're going to enjoy years of great espresso.
Yes, will get the thermometer. I will only buy the best beans available from local roasters, and we have many.
kenyabob wrote:Where did you find the mechanica at that price?
From a local online store. ekuep.com