$17k for new 2 group Slayer espresso machine.

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Zveltor

#1: Post by Zveltor »

For a couple reasons, I think we are going with slayer. Their single group is super nice and wonder if 2 single groups would be better than a 2 group. Some thoughts...
1). Work flow wise, it may be more convenient to have machines spaced a bit
2). If one is down, not left high and dry
3). 2 group machine arguably looks more legit
4). Price similar

What am I missing?

Input appreciated. Thx

Spitz.me

#2: Post by Spitz.me »

The first question is: Is this for a home, cafe or work environment? For home, I don't think there's any real peace of mind gained by getting a second group just in case the other one falters. I've never questioned why I don't have 2 groups based on repair frequency. It is kind of ridiculous that an inquiry on a 2 group purchase could be for the home, I realize that, but this is HB.
LMWDP #670

Zveltor (original poster)

#3: Post by Zveltor (original poster) »

Haha, yeah I left out that I was opening a second location shop. this forum has a lot of pro's and people that "get" why one would want a slayer.

caldwa

#4: Post by caldwa »

Are you going to be pressure profiling on each shot, or just using it as a standard espresso bar machine? If you're thinking of running two machines, why not get a single group Slayer dedicated for espresso shots and something like a Linea PB 2 group for your workhorse machine?

spressomon

#5: Post by spressomon »

FWIW Stefano at Via in Estes Park went with 2) single group Slayers side by side instead of a 2 group and told me he'd do the same again.
No Espresso = Depresso

#6: Post by Zveltor (original poster) »

caldwa wrote:Are you going to be pressure profiling on each shot, or just using it as a standard espresso bar machine? If you're thinking of running two machines, why not get a single group Slayer dedicated for espresso shots and something like a Linea PB 2 group for your workhorse machine?
that was a thought. I do own a linea 3 group, so it would be the least expensive option, but would obviously need separate grinders---which an extra 1700 for another grinder is nothing compared to another slayer. Outfitting a shop quickly adds up quickly.

chrisbodnarphoto

#7: Post by chrisbodnarphoto »

Zveltor wrote:For a couple reasons, I think we are going with slayer. Their single group is super nice and wonder if 2 single groups would be better than a 2 group. Some thoughts...
1). Work flow wise, it may be more convenient to have machines spaced a bit
2). If one is down, not left high and dry
3). 2 group machine arguably looks more legit
4). Price similar

What am I missing?

Input appreciated. Thx
I would imagine it would really depend on the workflow that you'd like your employees to have. Would you run one machine more than the other, or would employees be advised to switch between machines? Would 2 people be pulling shots constantly at the same time? Do you mind having to run two separate 220 power outlets for the single groups? You would want to look into the plumbing of the two machines and wether or not it's better to have each on their own filtration and direct line or a single filtration and split line.

One difference is machine height, too - the single groups sit much lower, which I only see as being a benefit (better client experience?). That being said, you would want to ensure there is enough height below to conform with your local laws regarding ease of access for cleaning etc.

You could also take one machine and use it for catering while keeping one on the bar (if your client traffic allows).

As long as the machine can keep up with steaming, I don't see why two single groups would be a bad idea?

#8: Post by Zveltor (original poster) »

Thanks for the input.
Splitting off after filter was the plan and no problem.
Wouldn't need 2 220s, the singles can run 110. I'd get one 220 and use the 110 one for catering...
The ease of cleaning is a valid concern and check in to the drain set up for the singles be double. Thank you again for the ideas

caldwa

#9: Post by caldwa »

Zveltor wrote:that was a thought. I do own a linea 3 group, so it would be the least expensive option, but would obviously need separate grinders---which an extra 1700 for another grinder is nothing compared to another slayer. Outfitting a shop quickly adds up quickly.
Slayers are awesome...but not cheap. Sounds like using the Linea you already have - maybe even sprucing it up a bit if you want a flashier look - and a 1 group Slayer would save money and achieve your goals? The past month while we've been out of a home espresso machine I've been stopping by a local cafe, and they have only a 2 group Linea - but the shots have been delicious. Getting the 1 group slayer would allow you to introduce your customers to a new espresso experience, while still having the trusty Linea. Just a thought, good luck!

nickw

#10: Post by nickw »

Zveltor wrote:Their single group is super nice and wonder if 2 single groups would be better than a 2 group.
No contest: Get a 2 group machine.

TL;DR: The single groups are good, but they're not designed to be the backbone of an espresso based cafe. Get the 2 group.

Longer answer:
The Slayer single group machines are good, but they're only meant to be used by one barista at a time. The machine needs 30-60s recovery time between shots to preheat the cold water going into the pre-heat coil to maintain temperature stability in the brew tank. Normally it gets this time while your steaming the milk and pouring the drink. You can't have one person on shots, and another in milk, the machine can't keep up with that (not even 220v).

On the flip side, the 2/3 group machines were designed to be pounded in a cafe all day long. They have a dedicated pre-brew tank, and that will make huge difference to thermal stability, in addition to giving you endless steam. Steaming 16-24oz of milk for a few latte's is no problem on a full sized commercial machine, but even the best single groups will slow down with any volume. On a 2/3 group you can easily have one person pulling shots and another on milk. Give it hell, it will keep up just fine. Your only limit will be how many shots you can put through the two groups.

Beyond that, the 2/3 group slayers are higher which is better for barista ergonomics. Offer steam on both sides, and have more space between the portafilter and drip tray.