$1500ish budget for new or used semiautomatic espresso machine - Page 2

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Chrikelnel
Supporter

#11: Post by Chrikelnel »

Have you checked the Seattle FB Marketplace? There's a Profitec Pro 300 in your price range. There's a nice Vivaldi II as well but it's plumb only. If you're willing to be patient, Izzo Alex Duetto II's and III's tend to be under $1500 when they pop up, that's a great E61 DB.

dilin

#12: Post by dilin »

+1 on the Lelit Mara X. It's been a pleasure just walking up to the machine and pull shot after shot, on a more consistent basis.

seinfeld11 (original poster)

#13: Post by seinfeld11 (original poster) »

A Livia 90 does look tempting especially since they're well under my budget. I also really like the Lelit mara x but I want to rule it out when comparing to the Elizabeth which I'm still leaning towards most. If there's a reason I'm off base let me know.

A la spaziale did look incredible as well but cheapest I could find was a Vivaldi ii for a bit out of budget. Right now that's sitting second in mind, I need to watch more reviews tonight.

Also have been checking FB marketplace but it's so hectic (especially since I don't know the right machine for me). Planning on visiting the SCG location this weekend to check out their floor as well just to get a final visual on some things and see if there's any steals in stock.

Going to spend some time tonight comparing these 3.

gobucks

#14: Post by gobucks »

seinfeld11 wrote:I also really like the Lelit mara x but I want to rule it out when comparing to the Elizabeth which I'm still leaning towards most. If there's a reason I'm off base let me know.
Elizabeth has faster startup, more precise temp control, programmable pressure preinfusion, and independent boiler temps (including very high max steam pressure). It also has button operation and optional timer cutoff, which I find easier to use as you can just walk away or get started on milk. Downsides are looks (looks better in person than in pictures, but e61 looks nicer), smaller boilers, and no flow control.

Mara X has a big steam boiler, good but not perfect temp control, flow control + basic e61 preintusion, and looks nicer. Downside is that brew and steam temps are tied - if you're in brew priority you get stable brew temps without cooling flushes, but steam pressure is reduced. Or you can get better steam but brew temps fluctuate. It is also lever operated which means you have to manually cut the shot, and it has some maintenance, but not a huge deal.

I'd say the Elizabeth is the more well rounded machine, but they both have slightly different strengths. I think the preinfusion of the Elizabeth + PID is sufficient for lighter roasts, but flow control on the Mara X gives a bit more flexibilty, so it could be a reason to choose it if you're really into light roast.

dilin

#15: Post by dilin »

I think the flow control is an add on to the Mara X. It doesn't come stock with it.

gobucks

#16: Post by gobucks replying to dilin »

That's true, although I have seen a lot of sellers include it in promotions from time to time. Maybe worth asking a seller if they'd throw one in.

BaristaBoy E61

#17: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Chrikelnel wrote:If you're willing to be patient, Izzo Alex Duetto II's and III's tend to be under $1500 when they pop up, that's a great E61 DB.
Excellent advice. You can also look for a Quick Mill Vetrano 2B. Both these DB boiler machines can be found at a reasonable price and would serve you very well particularly if you can provide your own servicing. Cost of ownership would be very low when you consider it's resale value should you one day decide to cash out.
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

slybarman

#18: Post by slybarman »

If you have a "high-rent" area near you, set an "espresso machine" notification alert for the craigslist in that area and be a bit patient. Invariably a deal or two will surface on a used double boiler machine. Be prepared to pounce when a deal pops up.

I got a deal on my machine that way and i still watch it so see what pops up.