Zassenhaus Santiago - how to fix a loose drawer?

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
bassanius

#1: Post by bassanius »

Hello,

I just got a used Zassenhaus Grinder that has a slight problem: one of the metal strips that holds the drawer has been lost.

I have contacted Zassenhaus to see if they could provide a replacement part, but unfortunately, they don't have this one in particular.

Therefore, I wanted to ask you what approach you would have in order to fix it. Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bassanius

grog

#2: Post by grog »

It won't be perfectly aligned, but you could glue a wood shim on the side that is missing the metal spring. Drawer will probably be slightly off to one side but it will be functional. That design has a long enough drawer that it won't matter too much that it's asymmetrical.
LMWDP #514

bassanius (original poster)

#3: Post by bassanius (original poster) »

That is a great idea - thank you so much, Grog!

Kindest regards,

BAssanius

Chert

#4: Post by Chert »

With a pair of tin snips you could probably cut a piece of metal to that size. It would need a certain amount of tension / elasticity, for example aluminum would not work, but thin still should, methinks. How to secure it in that spot though?
LMWDP #198

Eastsideloco

#5: Post by Eastsideloco »

These flat springs are simply held in place by small tacks, which are easy to source.

If you google "flat spring," "flat leaf spring small," etc., you might be able to find a part that will work as a drawer spring with minor or no modification.

bassanius (original poster)

#6: Post by bassanius (original poster) »

Thank you for your suggestions, Chert and Eastsideloco. I am going to try to find a flat spring.

All the best,

Bassanius