16g in 32g out in 29 seconds... - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
nickw

#11: Post by nickw »

Drowning things in milk can hide many defects, which can be a good thing. But that doesn't mean pulling a better shot won't shine through the milk. It's still worth doing the best you're able. :)

Here's my favorite trick to really taste what's going on: Make a cold water americano.

I pull a shot into a cappuccino cup, then fill the rest with fresh cold filtered water (I use my Britia). It really opens up the flavour, and you'll instantly be able to tell if it's over extracted (bitter), underextacted (sour), or both. I know of no better way to really taste what's going on. You'll be amazed at the insight this gives you. Then you can tune from there using all the online guides.

chuckcoffee

#12: Post by chuckcoffee »

Apogee

Which refractometer is available for $100?

TxHr

#13: Post by TxHr »

Apogee wrote:Buy refractometer for $100 and know exactly what to do to tune.
I've been considering purchasing one. For $100 it's a no-brainier. Where can I find one?

Thanks,

Brandon

Apogee

#14: Post by Apogee »

Milwaukee MA871 on Amazon ~$100. Consistency and accuracy is fantastic. Filters make no difference, I use 1ml pipettes 100 for $2 on Amazon. VST coffee tools pro app for iOS $50. Remember to multiply brix by .85 to get TDS.

Buy fresh coffee from Ritual or Heart with the $600 you saved on the VST refractometer. Completely unnecessary for home barista.

Most important things I've purchased to make consistently good espresso. A fantastic grinder never hurts;)

Good luck sir

sluflyer06

#15: Post by sluflyer06 »

Apogee wrote:Buy refractometer for $100 and know exactly what to do to tune.
How exactly is TDS going to direct him on what to do? Is there a guide for making changes based on TDS?