Homogenized versus Non Milk Lipids

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
James Mulryan

#1: Post by James Mulryan »

A friend of mine recently told me that non-homogenized milk has larger fat globs than homogenized milk.
Homogenized milk's smaller lipids are absorbed easier and turned into cholesterol.
Any thoughts?

Alan Frew

#2: Post by Alan Frew »

Southeast Asia is rife with urban myths about what happens to food and drink after you swallow. One thing they mostly have in common is treating the stomach as merely a somewhat porous food holding bag rather than a seething cauldron of concentrated hydrochloric acid and digestive enzymes.

Alan

DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

James Mulryan wrote:A friend of mine recently told me that non-homogenized milk has larger fat globs than homogenized milk.
Homogenized milk's smaller lipids are absorbed easier and turned into cholesterol.
Any thoughts?
Homogenized milk does have smaller fat globules, but the chemical lipids themselves remain unchanged in size. They are run through a pressurized dispersal system similar to aerosolization. There is no change to the chemical makeup of the fats to my knowledge though, so it's doubtful that there is any change to the digestion of those fats.
LMWDP #445

CathyWeeks

#4: Post by CathyWeeks »

James Mulryan wrote:A friend of mine recently told me that non-homogenized milk has larger fat globs than homogenized milk.
Any thoughts?
Have there even been any studies that look at the cholesterol levels of homogenized vs non-homogenized milk drinkers? I have my doubts that a) it's true, and b) there are any studies that show such results. That SOUNDS like some of the claims you would get from some raw milk enthusiasts.

Don't get me wrong. I MUCH prefer raw milk to pasteurized or homogenized for two reasons - I can get it when it's MUCH fresher, and it tastes so much better than what you get from the grocery store. But, it's an utter pain to work with for food safety reasons - timing/storage is everything. I used to make raw milk greek yogurt that was kind of a triumph. But the farm where I got the milk, started requiring that I buy 4 gallons at a time, and I simply couldn't make the yogurt fast enough before it started to go off. I used to make butter from the skimmed cream, but I was worried about pathogens, so as soon as I made it, I froze the butter and then only used it in cooking where it would be heated. But pancakes made from real butter milk were a real treat (the flavor is pretty different from store-bought).