Vesuvius or Synesso Hydra MVP

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
jthomson

#1: Post by jthomson »

Has any one used both the Vesuvius and the Hydra MVP and could compare them for me? I am interested in possibly buying one of them. The Vesuvius is tempting at 1/2 the price of the Hydra.

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC replying to jthomson »

Our own Mike McGuiness of Compass Coffee has extensive experience with the Vesuvius and the Cyncra and Hydra. Check with him. He'll no doubt chime in soon, he still frequently contributes here.

/member/Compass%20Coffee/
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Compass Coffee

#3: Post by Compass Coffee »

TomC wrote:Our own Mike McGuiness of Compass Coffee has extensive experience with the Vesuvius and the Cyncra and Hydra. Check with him. He'll no doubt chime in soon, he still frequently contributes here.
OPs first post was actually a PM to me asking the same question where I replied to ask in the forum for greater input and so discussion benefits all.

To clarify I don't have experience with the newly released Hydra MVP but rather its predecessor Hydra. They have the same 4 stage pressure profile capability but each group of the MVP has the ability to independently operate exactly like it's predecessor (full manual or first 3 stages programmed by time) plus the MVP can run with stages volumetric mode.

Already various threads discussing Vesuvius usage both its intended timed stages (max 7 stages each 5 programs) as well as a way to use it manual stages through changing which program as the shot progresses. This trick works well but became tedious or annoying to me needing to double tap the screen to change programs multiple times during every shot. Mainly because at home I don't run just one coffee often pulling back to backs of different coffees and prefer full manual control. Which is why currently a GS3 MP with Strada manometer mod is on my kitchen counter instead of the Vesuvius.

Another major difference between single group MVP Hydra and Vesuvius would of course be commercial steaming power and recovery versus prosumer class.

Question to OP: what is your anticipated use?

FWIW if money where no object and I had 220v available (lease don't own at the moment) I'd take a single group Hydra MVP over Vesuvius at home in a heartbeat.
Mike McGinness

jthomson (original poster)

#4: Post by jthomson (original poster) »

This would be for home use. I would like to dip into pressure (or flow) profiling. I have had my current machine for 5 years. I could modify the VBM DD with a gear pump, but would like to have computer control of the flow profile and not quite sure on that end. I am also interested in the Slayer as well. The Vesuvius at 1/2 the cost of the Hydra or Slayer is tempting. I guess the question that I was asking myself that led me to post is, "What can the Hydra (or Slayer) do that the Vesuvius can not?" Or what makes the Hydra or Slayer $5K better then the Vesuvius?

Compass Coffee

#5: Post by Compass Coffee »

If you've been happy with the VBM DD for 5 years (a machine I had on my kitchen counter for a year) suspect you'd be happy with the Vesuvius. Besides commercial steaming power with Hydra or Slayer or GS3 MP IMO you also gain higher build quality. And IMO any of those 3 better eye candy than usual prosumer SS box. Worth $3-5k more? To me yes. To most sane home baristas probably not! :lol:
Mike McGinness

#6: Post by jthomson (original poster) »

Thanks for the input. Desisions Desisions.....

spressomon

#7: Post by spressomon »

Poor photo but we were just at Vertigo Roasters and Cafe in San Juan Batista California and they've had their Synesso 2-Group MVP Hydra about 1-month (from a 4 group Linea before) and are really loving it. Its the first Synesso MVP Hydra I've seen in a shop and I must say I have lust fever :D

The biggest question I have, and this certainly applies to all the complex electronically and mechanically driven machines like the Hydra, is what will be the PM cost downstream. I guess if you have the wherewithal to be in this purchase price category...presumably the parts budget downstream is moot :).

No Espresso = Depresso

#8: Post by jthomson (original poster) »

Wow! I live about 30 minutes away from there. I will run by there and check it out. Thank you!

#9: Post by jthomson (original poster) »

I went by Vertigo roasters on Sunday. The employees are friendly and have a passion for coffee. My wife and I had a very good cap and latte. I would say that this was the best cappuccino that I have ever bought. The Hydra looks amazing as well.