Mod my Quickmill Andreja or purchase Vetrano V2B or other?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Dripp

#1: Post by Dripp »

So I've had my Andreja premium for about 10 years now, maybe 12. I've replaced the vibe pump 3-4 times, and all of the other seals and gaskets a couple of times over the course of its life. I have no scale issues as I've always used softened water, so it's in great shape and frankly not giving me any issues. But I have grown weary of the noise from the vibe pump. My family is used to it as my kids have never had a morning without the noise of the cooling flushes, 2-3 shot, rinsing afterward with the blank, etc. every morning so that's not the issue. I rarely drink steamed beverages so capacity for that is not a concern, it's really the noise at this point, and frankly I'm probably 3-4 years on this pump so it's probably ready to go again.

I've seen a few threads on here about modifying the unit to take a rotary pump. I have access to some guys that could do this for me very economically if I call in a favor or two. I'm pretty handy, but don't have the ability to fabricate a mounting bracket/stand necessary to do it right. So what are your thoughts on the mod vs. the upgrade? Everything I've read says the DB machines are far better than the HX machines, especially from those that have upgraded. I'm sure you're all tired of these threads but it would make feel better to hear from the community.

Thanks - Jim

Bill33525
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by Bill33525 »

I purchased the V2B EVO several months ago and really love it. If money isn't too tight this would be a good time to upgrade to the DB machine. You can get a few bucks from the sale of the old machine and move up to a new toy with a warranty.
Hope this helps.

ruthlessaz

#3: Post by ruthlessaz »

I also have a v2b Evo, love it

I would say you have had a good run, sell the machine and get a new one. Just my .02

Gig103

#4: Post by Gig103 »

Here are benefits I see to buying the Vetrano instead of modding:
1) All new gear even though yours is clearly well maintained
2) New two year warranty (three if you use a credit card with a warranty extension)
3) Switchable plumb option
4) Selectable power source for the steam boiler since you said milk drinks aren't your top concern.
5) Your Andreja still has a value on the used market to go towards the new machine

I'm not even sure where a rotary pump would fit in an Andreja based on being inside mine!

jkool702

#5: Post by jkool702 »

Has anyone here actually modded the andreja for plumbing?

Im asking because Im currently trying to decide between an quick mill anita evo and quick mill andreja premium. Im mainly considering the andreja strictly because I'd like the option to (at some later date) plumb the machine. I asked Chris of Chris Coffee Services about this and he indicated the plumbing kit for the andreja is a "cob job" and seemed to suggest that it was primarily useful for older andreja owners (such as OP), but he wouldnt recommend buying an andreja new with the intention of plumbing it.

(as a side note: can anyone tell me a reason to choose the andreja premium over the anita evo except for future plumbing option and a bit nicer finish? The only other thing i can find is the andreja premium has a sirai pressurestat, while the anita evo might not. The price difference isnt that much but it seems like espresso quality is identical)

clivecoffee
Sponsor

#6: Post by clivecoffee »

Hi Jim, how are you liking the espresso from your Andreja? If you're delighted with it, I'd say stick with it until you feel like you want more control over the espresso (or a simpler routine). I don't have experience with that mod, but I think the cup quality and experience should be the biggest consideration for the next step in your espresso journey.

@jkool702: With the Anita Evo's updated styling and the Andreja's lower price, the machines are super close now as they're both 1.6 liter heat exchangers with 1400 watt elements (so you'll experience no difference in the cup).

But more and more our customers are choosing the rotary pump (the vibe pump sound is the most common complaint with the Andreja) dual boilers like the Vetrano 2B Evo for the future option of plumbing, and so their machine can be more flexible for trying different coffees in the future. Many of our customers don't use the dual boiler feature, but (like plumbability) they want the option of making that dark roast more smooth, or that naturally processed Ethiopian more fruity :wink:

@BP