Locked threads on HB. - Page 3

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
jfrescki

#21: Post by jfrescki »

Going back to the original notion of more locked threads, I think ever increasing prices for the gear coupled with more offerings in the dream/high-end category, expectations are equally high. "If I'm going to pay that kind of money, it better....." clashes with "I bought it and it's great, how could you want more?"

Tensions are directly proportional to the square of the dollars:

Tensions $^2 => More Locked Threads!
Write to your Congressman. Even if he can’t read, write to him.
- Will Rogers

HB
Admin

#22: Post by HB »

Since there's two worthwhile topics in this thread, I've split What to do about off-topic blathering? to its own thread. Untangling the two conversations while retaining context required some fancy move/copy/edits. I think that I've gotten it right.
jfrescki wrote:Going back to the original notion of more locked threads...
On that note, as an alternative to locked threads, I've tested a "cooldown" capability (formally known as "simmer") that will automatically slow down posting to a runaway thread. Once a moderator sets the thread for cooldown, the following restrictions apply:
  • Initially no posts are permitted for 2 hours; this encourages participants to take a breather and note the moderator explanation for the cooldown,
  • Posters can only reply if they have not posted to the thread in the last 4 hours,
  • After 48 hours, the thread automatically reverts to normal posting.
During the cooldown period, a member who has posted to the thread in the last 4 hours will see the following message if they attempt to post again:
Information wrote:Moderator <name> has limited posting to this thread for the next <n> hours. Please refer to the site's Guidelines for productive online discussion.
Please keep in mind the goal of this change is to eliminate thread locks for all but the most serious cases. It's my hope that cooldowns will be rarely needed too.
Dan Kehn

Marcelnl

#23: Post by Marcelnl »

Sounds like a great option if used with caution, and I have no doubts about that!
LMWDP #483

HB
Admin

#24: Post by HB »

The code is complete and I've created a Cooldown test thread.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#25: Post by Compass Coffee replying to HB »

2 hour clock is running after test reply attempt 1, I wonder if this cooldown is anything like a coldshower lol.
Mike McGinness

HB
Admin

#26: Post by HB »

I prefer to think of it as a moment for quiet reflection. :lol:
Dan Kehn

Barb
Supporter ♡

#27: Post by Barb »

I am waiting, Dan, for someone to inquire about the temperature of "cool down" and how measured! <g>

Marcelnl

#28: Post by Marcelnl »

I'm sure some open source code from a PID device was used so we'll likely venture into discussion on themocouples and settings. :lol:
LMWDP #483