Help diagnosing channeling in my shots - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
RyanJE

#31: Post by RyanJE »

btalcox0715 wrote:Here is basket prep:

https://youtu.be/3M31DfanVrc
Good lord. That seems like a lot of work. Have you tried lowering your dose? Maybe it's too high.
I drink two shots before I drink two shots, then I drink two more....

btalcox0715 (original poster)

#32: Post by btalcox0715 (original poster) replying to RyanJE »

Yeah I know right. That was the basket prep of the shot I posted above, so it obviously worked. I think it's the bottom of the basket that's giving me the most trouble. Once I get all the clumps out of the bottom, it's all good, but indeed a of work. Which honestly is fine for an espresso, but a latte is just too much lol

bop

#33: Post by bop »

Yeah I know right. That was the basket prep of the shot I posted above, so it obviously worked. I think it's the bottom of the basket that's giving me the most trouble. Once I get all the clumps out of the bottom, it's all good, but indeed a of work. Which honestly is fine for an espresso, but a latte is just too much lol
What you can try is find a one-use cup and cut it so that it can friction fit on top of your basket. That way you get a cheap PF funnel and you can go crazy with WDT without fear of coffee going everywhere. I use a straight surgical pick and go in small circles around the circumference of the basket - seems to work for me.

RyanJE

#34: Post by RyanJE »

btalcox0715 wrote:Yeah I know right. That was the basket prep of the shot I posted above, so it obviously worked. I think it's the bottom of the basket that's giving me the most trouble. Once I get all the clumps out of the bottom, it's all good, but indeed a of work. Which honestly is fine for an espresso, but a latte is just too much lol
So I didn't see this was asked anywhere, are you using the vario for multiple brew methods and switching back and forth between those methods?

#35: Post by btalcox0715 (original poster) replying to RyanJE »

Nope, just espresso. I don't have any other methods. That basket prep video was overkill, and my prep takes about half that now. Really just focusing on bottom of the basket completely fixed my issues with channeling :D :D :D

trumz

#36: Post by trumz »

Have you also found a difference between single dosing vs beans in the hopper?

#37: Post by btalcox0715 (original poster) replying to trumz »

Not really that I've noticed. However, my dose accuracy will probably be better now considering I'm weighing after the grind. To whereas before, I was weighing beans pre grind and probably losing some from grind retention.

RyanJE

#38: Post by RyanJE replying to btalcox0715 »

I noticed with my vario, every now and then I'd get more than my single dose input. And sometimes less. Weighing after certainly is useful information.