Third Wave Cafes in Europe - Page 2

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
keno (original poster)

#11: Post by keno (original poster) »

michael wrote:does anyone have a recommendation for good coffee in Milan 8)
I'm also curious about Milan cafes as I'll be there next month. I'll be visiting Florence as well and so will definitely check out Ditta Artigianale.

4000ft

#12: Post by 4000ft »

Theres a place in Milan called Torrefazione Ambrosiano, on Corso Buenos Aires, not quite third wave but they roast their own which is unique and tasted a little brighter than most bars using illy etc

http://www.torrefazioneambrosiano.it/negozi.htm

chang00

#13: Post by chang00 »

I find it a bit strange Nomad Coffee in Barcelona only open from Monday to Friday and not on weekends, considering it is quite close to the Ramblas and the Catalunya Plaza.

keno (original poster)

#14: Post by keno (original poster) »

4000ft wrote:Theres a place in Milan called Torrefazione Ambrosiano, on Corso Buenos Aires, not quite third wave but they roast their own which is unique and tasted a little brighter than most bars using illy etc

http://www.torrefazioneambrosiano.it/negozi.htm
Great, thanks for the recommendation. I'll have to check it out.

gophish

#15: Post by gophish »

I would recommend stopping in Ditta Argitanle, for no other reason than to get some specialty coffee that most of us are used to and because it's on a street with some other great shops, (La Prosciutteria and Neri Gelato). I would say don't expecting to be blown away compared to any of the "third wave" cafes in the US. The coffee was good (SOE and V60 of their Kochere) and it was a nice change of pace from the Kimbo and the like but the space was otherwise cluttered, slightly disorganized, and a bit messy (and that was in the afternoon). A Mythos did main duty for their blend and a k30 twin setup handled their SOE's, all pulled on a Strada. An EK43 did brewed duties, and there was not a syphon in sight, contrary to their online menu. They had a number of different coffees but it was a bit confusing to decipher what was in stock with two conflicting menus, neither of which were fully correct. The baristas were nice and helpful, one of which had a bad habit of touching his nose constantly and I also witnessed him blow the excess grinds off the PF...

I hope that didn't sounds too negative but I guess I was at least expecting a cafe on par with those in the US. Barista mechanics aren't sound (as we typically discuss) anywhere in Italy but they are usually orderly and cleanly.
Versalab