Just won a La Pavoni Pro on ebay - Page 2

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
rpavlis

#11: Post by rpavlis »

If you have access to machine shop equipment this can be easy. You can use a lathe to turn down a piece brass stock to just under 12mm in diameter and then bore it with an appropriate drill and then tap it for the size for which you can find a gauge. Then you can take an M12x1.0 die and cut threads on the outside.

I found it extremely difficult to find gauges with sensible units on them, namely standard Metric ones. Both Americans and Europeans seem to refuse to use standard pressure units. Chemical and physical properties are always listed in the standard units. That standard pressure unit is the Pascal! Since a bar is 10e5 Pascal it is also acceptable. The La Pavoni gauges seem to be in bars, which is fine. When I was looking for such gauges I actually saw one listed in millimetres of alpha bromo naphthalene! I saw them in millimetres of mercury too!

cuppajoe

#12: Post by cuppajoe »

Is that even the original manonmeter on the machine? I had checked out that auction and things just didn't seem right. For one thing, it appears to have a brass trim ring on the gauge, which seems to have been just stuck on there.

Looking at the gauge, steam wand, area for the drip tray, and portafilter, it was obvious it had been ridden hard and put away wet. Will take a lot of work, hopefully the element is OK. Take lots of pics as you disassemble it and post here.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

skyboltone (original poster)

#13: Post by skyboltone (original poster) »

I need to change my notification preferences. Y'all have been having a quiet conversation over here without me. Sorry. That machining business to decrease the flow is something I can do.

Anyway, yes it needs a ton of work. I'm hoping that I'll have a little luck when it arrives and can make it work out without losing my shirt. Clearly that is not the original gauge but I believe you can see the La Pavoni logo, just barely, there on the face of it. In any case, the gauge is dirty enough inside that I believe it has seen some water in there. How did that happen? The little expansion chamber in there (bourdon tube?) may have ruptured. With a little quick failure analysis one can go in a lot of not so nice directions with that observation. So the P-stat may have failed, the T-stat may have failed first. It's the kind of thing that one might see in a frat house or with a bunch of single guys just not paying attention. The pressure relief valve should save the boiler from rupture but who knows what all went on there? It may have been used as a weapon in a brawl and the gauge got broken that way. More than once? I dunno.

The only thing that is clear is that the seller wasn't proud of it for sure. Why didn't they at least wipe out the drip tray? Because they've got nothing invested. It's a rental clean out or a dumpster pick of some sort.

We know it needs:
Pressure gauge
Seals kit
Drip tray grate
A P-stat just because
Testing of all electrical components. ( I can megger test the heating element to check for current leakage)

If it gets too bad, I'll part it out.

I bought a Super Jolly locally today and man-o-man. It came out of a coffee house that shut down in the '90s. I'll start a thread here right quick about that clean up. Unbelievable.
Bean me up dude!

forbeskm

#14: Post by forbeskm »

skyboltone wrote:
Testing of all electrical components. ( I can megger test the heating element to check for current leakage)

If it gets too bad, I'll part it out.
A merger, an expensive one? Why do I ask, I was looking at them on eBay when mine were having issues and I saw a bunch of Chinese cheap ones.

skyboltone (original poster)

#15: Post by skyboltone (original poster) »

Mine is an Amprobe. Older model but quite sturdy and reliable.
Bean me up dude!