Cleaning routine for stainless steel portafilter - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
SonVolt

#11: Post by SonVolt »

Tea water?

Marshall (original poster)

#12: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

Peppersass wrote:I know you're done taking suggestions, but maybe what I do will give you some additional ideas:
You shame me, Dick, but your routine will still never happen here. Instead I:
  • knock out the puck
    rinse out what's left with hot tap water from my bar sink
    run the pump for 2 or 3 seconds to wash off debris from the screen
    run my circular Cafelat brush around the gasket
    rinse off the brush
    run the brush across the screen
    rinse off the brush again
    wipe the screen with a towel
    replace the portafilter
Up to now the basket has only come out of the portafilter for my weekly cleaner soak (when I also do my backflush with cleaner routine). Although SS is easier to clean, I know from cooking that fats left on a pan will eventually polymerize (which is great for cast iron). So, I have been pondering how often to give the portafilter a good wipe. I expect it will be a couple of times a week.
Marshall
Los Angeles

cannonfodder
Team HB

#13: Post by cannonfodder »

My observations, the stainless portafilters will not dirty up as fast as the chrome plated brass and much much less buildup than a well worn, mostly brass portafilter. I dont find a long soak necessary, I just give it a swish in some JoeGlo water and rinse it, then soak my baskets or brass portafilters. A quick wipe out with a bar towel keeps it looking almost new even after a week or two of shots.

One weeks worth of shots uncleaned

To clean it, I simply wiped it off with my bar towel.

Dave Stephens

Marshall (original poster)

#14: Post by Marshall (original poster) »

Good to know, Dave!
Marshall
Los Angeles

keno

#15: Post by keno »

One thing I've done which makes keeping the PF clean a lot easier is to remove the PF spring. I dose, distribute, and tamp the basket by itself. Meanwhile the PF is in the group. Remove the PF then place the basket in the PF, lock, and pull my shot. After the shot I remove the basket and dump it. Without the basket it's super easy to rinse and wipe the PF.