Bleeding the boilers of La Marzocco GS/3

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Macphi

#1: Post by Macphi »

Hello,

Anyone knows where as could find an instruction video on how to bleed the boilers of a GS3. I could not find a single "how to video" about this.

Many thanks

twolane

#2: Post by twolane »

Boy, that's kind of a tough one.

First question- why?

Make sure the machine is off and unplugged. Being cold wouldn't hurt either.

There should be a petcock on the left side of the steam boiler with a cap on it. Remove the cap, attach a hose, and drain. Bingo.

Brew boiler? That's a tough one. You could pull the heating element and just let it drain out, you could loosen the expansion valve all the way then remove the bleed screw, or perhaps remove the supply line into the boiler after the last check valve and allow it to drain like that? There's really no easy way. Sorry!

Advertisement
Beaniac

#3: Post by Beaniac »

twolane wrote:Boy, that's kind of a tough one.

First question- why?
La Marzocco GS/3 will not be used for 2 weeks. What to do?

To leave it alone for two weeks I guess :lol:

Euology101

#4: Post by Euology101 »

Macphi wrote:Hello,

Anyone knows where as could find an instruction video on how to bleed the boilers of a GS3. I could not find a single "how to video" about this.

Many thanks
I don't know that there are any video's anywhere, but the Owners Manual has instructions if I remember correctly.

I've done this both hot and cold, but if you do it hot, use caution (obviously).

Remove the Group Handle (if MP).
Remove the Group Cap. (2 Allen head screws on top of the cap, possibly covered by small black covers which you will need to pop out first)
There is a screw under the cap, nearest you, which is an allen head, with a copper/brass washer under it. This is your bleed screw. Typically I just open this screw a tiny amount, turn on the pump (as if brewing) as soon as I see water come out, I close the screw, then stop the pump. This should release all of the air inside of the boilers.

Clean up the little bit of water (Careful if hot). reassemble cap and handle. Pretty straight forward.

twolane

#5: Post by twolane »

Beaniac wrote:To leave it alone for two weeks I guess :lol:

Doh! I was reading drain, not bleed. Sorry! :oops:

Yup, bleeding the brew boiler is as simple as slowly loosening the bleed screw on the top of the group. Assuming the machine is plumbed in: machine off and unplugged, water on. Crack the bleed screw (copper colored) on top of silver group cap. Let run until you're happy, then snug up. That's it!

If not plumbed in, you need to be a little more careful as the machine will need to be on to run the pump to bleed the boiler. Make sure you have plenty of towels handy to keep the water from running into the machine.