Blown Copper Pressurestat Bellows on Olympia Cremina 67

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
AmiableAlbion

#1: Post by AmiableAlbion »

Hi All,
I started hearing hissing in my Cremina 67 (1987) and thought it was the pressure relief valve. I also started seeing water pooling underneath.

Turned it on tonight with the cover off and and started to see water escaping from the pstat around the copper bellows which then turned to a steady stream of steam. :(

I have seen a few posts about this from a few years ago, but no sources for parts or repairs. It looks like there is a Mater XP110 pstat available that replaces the old spring loaded one. I would rather leave it stock if possible.

Anyone had experience with this and how to fix or replace?

cuppajoe

#2: Post by cuppajoe »

One of those just cycled through ebay, but it might have been the Italian site. If you have , or know someone with good silver solder skills it might be salvageable.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Advertisement
AmiableAlbion (original poster)

#3: Post by AmiableAlbion (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just ordered a Mater XP110 pstat from Cerini as a backup should the soldering fail and to keep the system running.

The new Cremina's have this specific pstat mounted using a "J" tube to keep it "upright" according to photos provided by OE on the new machine. Others have simply attached it in place of the original pstat in the older Cremina machines.

I wonder if there is a specification on this. Evidently Olympia went to the trouble of the "J' tube. I would need to create a whole new pstat tube in my '87 model to keep the new pstat upgright.

OldNuc

#4: Post by OldNuc »

The "J" tube is to isolate the P stat from live steam. This prevents overheating of the switch.

#5: Post by AmiableAlbion (original poster) »

Also, would anyone out there be so kind as to loan me a manometer?

I can certainly build one using the CoffeeBOS blog posting suggestions, but it seems like a perfect tool for sharing as it is used so infrequently.

#6: Post by AmiableAlbion (original poster) »

OldNuc wrote:The "J" tube is to isolate the P stat from live steam. This prevents overheating of the switch.
Got it, good to know. I thought it was perhaps more to do with the orientation.

Thanks

OldNuc

#7: Post by OldNuc »

Nope, thermal protection. Should be on a older bellows type but is not usually used there as the electronics are either not temperature sensitive or far enough away to not be affected by changing temperature.