Struggling to make good espresso - Page 4

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
Lord Fluff (original poster)

#31: Post by Lord Fluff (original poster) »

Ah, hadn't realised you'd posted per minute. That was timed from "lever down", so it seems that may not be the issue after all.

Dammit

#32: Post by Lord Fluff (original poster) »

erics wrote: 2. Inspect the grouphead for scale buildup as per this - Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale
Checked (forgot to take a pic, sorry) and while the mushroom wasn't exactly pristine, it wasn't a scale-crusted mess either. It's a tricky machine to descale properly but I did do it not that long ago, so would have been surprised if that was the issue. I guess it may still be the issue, but not based on looking at the mushroom.

#33: Post by Lord Fluff (original poster) »

So some pics to show. Here we are to start - 18g in an 18g VST, very careful distribution. This is Red Brick by Square Mile - now about 14 days since roast.

Initial flow seems to appear across the basket,

but as the shot progresses it's all very thin, watery and all over the place.

Resulting puck is dry, tight and no blatant channels.

Forgot to photograph the result, but tasting it was like a strong, not too nice filter coffee.

Thoughts? Anyone.....?

brianl

#34: Post by brianl »

That just screams low temperature to me. I'd rig up an at home filter basket temperature device. All can be had for under 30 bucks.

However, the coffee is past optimum age.

neutro

#35: Post by neutro »

Aren't the grounds a bit coarse? Just saying this because I had shots that looked like your pictures for a long while and recently tightened the grind quite a bit and now it's much better. I was able to make geyser-less shots that fit into the recommended timing window with much to coarse grinds.

brianl

#36: Post by brianl replying to neutro »

Finer grind makes decent pours easier but his don't look like gushers?

neutro

#37: Post by neutro replying to brianl »

Mine didn't either but they sure do taste better with a finer grind. I'm just saying this because of recent experience; perhaps it has nothing to do with the current issue. But it's probably worth a shot, so to speak.