La Marzocco Strada Mini coming... - Page 5

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
LukeFlynn

#41: Post by LukeFlynn »

Considering they haven't even acknowledged the product on their website like they did with the Linea Mini, I'd say it's going to be much later this year when we get more information. I personally saw the newsletter as a sort of leak/sneak-peak. I can imagine we'll see a release later on this year or early 2016.

keno

#42: Post by keno »

At $12.5K why would anyone even consider buying a Strada Mini? Or for that matter a Slayer, Speedster, or GS3 when you can get a Vesuvius with pressure profiling for under $5K. LM is going to have to cut the price of the single group Strada in half to make this even slightly attractive.

Heck, you can even get a Breville Barista that has WAY more features. The Barista will even grind your beans for you!! Does the Strada Mini do that? NO!!! And the Breville does this for well under $1K. Game over!!

Plus the Breville has an integrated tamper. How freaking awesome is that!? Sorry, Strada Mini time to pack up your things and go home!!! LM is going to seriously need to up their game and add an integrated tamper to make the Strada Mini even remotely competitive, and for over $12K it better do tamp pressure profiling AND your laundry.

Seriously, what the heck is LM doing? Don't they know that making espresso machines that cost more with less features than the competition is a sure way to put themselves right out of business. I mean what kind of idiot would buy the Strada Mini or Linea Mini when you can get so much more for so much less?

:lol:

ds

#43: Post by ds »

TomC wrote:Yes, they're complete idiots. They have no idea what they're doing in the market of commercial espresso machine manufacturing. :roll:
sar*casm
ˈsärˌkazəm
noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.

TomC
Team HB

#44: Post by TomC replying to ds »

Serves me right for posting while running around work. I can interpret sarcasm just fine (thanks for the tips though :D )
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

keno

#45: Post by keno »

ds wrote:sar*casm
ˈsärˌkazəm
noun
noun: sarcasm; plural noun: sarcasms

the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
Indeed, my parody of the posters in a few other threads who question the value of the Linea Mini because it doesn't have a shot timer or PID display.

boost

#46: Post by boost »

Stopped by today at Linea Mini event here. Talked to LM US about the Strada Mini, seems like it's not definite yet in the near term, at least what they told me.
Sounds like it's a tech concept that they plan to showcase at the OOTB event and gauge people's interest, exactly like the email says.

AssafL

#47: Post by AssafL »

Peppersass wrote:the same as the pressure at the puck. The gicleur causes a pressure drop of about 1.5 BAR. This is easily demonstrated with a Scace 2 or other portafilter pressure gauge. Under nominal conditions, when pressure at the puck is 9 BAR you will see 10.5 or so on the boiler gauge. Yes, the pressure would be equal if the system was closed (e.g., if you use a blind basket), but since water is flowing through the gicleur and puck there are pressure differences in the system. I'm not sure if the difference is linear at all pressures, so it may require a correspondence table to determine the pressure at the puck at various points as the pressure ramps from 0-9 BAR.

The point of measuring the pressure is to be able to reproduce the programmed pressure ramp. I guess it would be possible to do this by measuring the boiler pressure, which in theory should ramp the same way with the same coffee, grind and dose, but this might be confusing for the user if the relationship between boiler pressure and puck pressure varies with the coffee, dose and grind. This may be why LM put an electronic pressure transducer in the Strada EP group instead of at the boiler, which would have been a whole lot simpler.
Well according to the post at http://nickcho.tumblr.com/post/41769569 ... dification, the controller is indeed different from the 3d5 and has two modes: pressure regulated and gear speed regulated.

For reasons outlined in the linked post, the pressure regulated mode doesn't work very well (since the system isn't stable - a channel causes the machine to dump water instead of holding back).

A flow meter in association with a pressure gauge may be able to resolve the stability issues. But that is expensive yet.

Levers have the advantage that the chamber volume is fixed and pressure is -kx. So probably more forgiving than an EP in pressure mode.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

boost

#48: Post by boost »

Check this LM Shot Brewer with Strada EP (top) :shock:
Only a steam boiler away from Strada Mini.

https://instagram.com/p/69Fx3Nx2qV/?tak ... offeehqbiz

indend007

#49: Post by indend007 »

Here is Shot brewer EP clip.
Maybe, Strada EP 1 group will have steam parts and some different design.

tr182md

#50: Post by tr182md »

I just bought my GS3 too. I am happy with it but I do like the Strada.