SCAA Drops USBC Regional Competitions - Page 3

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Eastsideloco

#21: Post by Eastsideloco »

This graphic sums up the problem:

http://www.baristaguildofamerica.net/sc ... fographic/

It will be interesting to see whether they can close that gap in a meaningful way.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#22: Post by baldheadracing »

The infographic tries to convince the viewer that these events are expensive ... but are they?

The big headline is that the "cost per competitor" is over $1000. That is huge, so one naturally might make the conclusion that these events are expensive. There's a nice big emphasis that each and every SCAA member is pumping in almost $500/competitor, with sponsors not far behind.

Nowhere in the infographic are total costs given. You have to dig into the text to find the total cost of $231,210.72 - and nowhere to be found is the average cost per event of $77k (I assume that it is $231/3) - and nowhere to be found is the cost of each event.

Numbers (statistics) tell stories. The punchline of this statistical story is buried in the fine print - the very last bit of the infographic, and not in a graphic, just text - right beside such statistical trivia as "Numbers represent 2015 season." Did you miss it at first glance? The punchline is that there were 216 competitors - and not just barista's, but both barista and brewer's cup competitors.

Across the entire continental United States.

That's the issue.

Finances aren't the issue. Sponsorship isn't the issue. Participation is the issue.

Now, I realize that the purpose of the graphic was not to identify what the important issues are. The purpose of the graphic was to "inform discussion" about "the financial realities of putting on these events." How does one "inform discussion" on "the financial realities of putting on these events" without revealing the cost of putting on an event?

Statistics can be used to inform. Statistics can be used to influence.

Did the infographic influence you? Did I? :wink:

YMMV.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Advertisement
Eastsideloco

#23: Post by Eastsideloco »

Yes, I noticed those details.

It would be interesting to know what the numbers looked like for previous years. Presumably the general trend is the same, after all they reduced the number of regional competitions in 2015.

According to the proposal for 2016, there will be 50 competitors total.

Eastsideloco

#24: Post by Eastsideloco »

Randy G.

#25: Post by Randy G. »

As has been said, there are two kinds of statistics....
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done