My CHEAP Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton Stability Mod

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
hachiroku

#1: Post by hachiroku »

Hello Everybody,
I just wanted to share my simple cheap modification to my new style Hario Ceramic Coffee Mil Skerton.

Hario Ceramic Coffee Mill Skerton Stability Modification. Simply add small zip ties to stabilize the shaft from any movement. As shown in the video almost all wobble and play is removed. Very cost effective mod for any version/variation of the Hario Skerton Hand Mil. Hope this helps anybody looking to have more consistent grinds! I haven't tried grinding before, but after this stability mod there is about 5-7% of grinds which end up floating to the top of the brew which clearly made it past quality control. This is more so of the fact that the design of the burr isn't the best. Additionally I feel as though the burr itself isn't casted/machining uniformly as i feel there is a 2-5mm wobble within the casting/machining.

Unmodified:
Modified:

aecletec

#2: Post by aecletec »

That's certainly an interesting way to go about it - have you been able to compare the grinds before and after?
I wonder if the ties will help reduce movement with the added forces of hand grinding, rather than just reducing play whilst unloaded.

hachiroku (original poster)

#3: Post by hachiroku (original poster) »

well, if you'd imagine, beans aren't perfect concentric circles/balls therefore the burr will shift around with hand movement as well as what has loaded into the burr.

with a stability mod, whether it be zip tie, or bearing kit will help aid for a more consistent grind.

at the end of the story, the burr of this unit isn't long enough and with a good enough design to accurately grind all beans perfectly. If i get a chance i'll take a picture of post brew grinds. the pour over process actually separates each grind by size. the larger grinds which make up about 5-7% of the variation end up at the top.