Help with nuanced cup out of Hario V60 brews. - Page 3

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
NebuK

#21: Post by NebuK »

Hi,

yes, i went through a range of grind levels and temperatures, although not strictly. My comment always refers to my best attempt (for me). But these are highly subjective and by no means tried. Would need to Blindtaste to say something not personal :-).

What i DID try recently was this:
endlesscycles wrote:A ceramic V60 would have to sit in boiling water for a few minutes to fully preheat; the prerinse does next to nothing.
I've taken my 2 V60s (the small ones), and one i did rinse with my usual 350g boiling (~98°C when in spout of the gooseneck) water. The other i put in a pot of 3l boiling water over low heat on the plate, so it'd continue to simmer at ~99.x°C.
Then i put both V60s in 2L water at 24.5°C, let them sit in there exactly 3min, and measured the final temperature of the water - i.e. how much heat the V60 was able to give to the surrounding water. I repeated this 3 times more, and got similarly equal results. On average, the boiling preheat gets about 1.5-2°C more.

For me, that's a sign that with pouring i'm able to almost properly preheat the v60 to where i want. Maybe if i used 450-500g, it'd be on par? Also, i encourage everyone to repeat the experiment and post whether you can reproduce my findings :-).

Thanks again, best regards!

snwcmpr

#22: Post by snwcmpr »

Thanks.
I am mostly a reader here, and reading here, now, more than another forum.
I appreciate the info. I will try the pre-heat of the ceramic V60.

Edit:
Putting the ceramic V60 in a pot of boiling water does keep it quite hot when pulled out. More flavor as a result.
I prefer the ceramic to plastic.

Ken in NC
Waynesville, NC
(I have had Marshall's coffee at Waking Life, I aspire to roast as well as that.)

borisblank

#23: Post by borisblank »

After pausing the Perger video at 5/6s mark, I'm thinking my grind might be way too coarse for a V60. I've been brewing for quite a while with a Kalita, which seems to be much more flow restricted than the V60, so maybe that's why. But wow - those grinds in the Perger video look to be way, way finer than what I'm used to. That looks like clumping to me!

Are others grinding that tightly for V60s? I'll try out "Ludicrous Fine" tomorrow morning, but good grief...

Eastsideloco

#24: Post by Eastsideloco »

I keep meaning to do the same. Matt Perger's advice is use a 500-micron sieve (or finer) to remove "boulders" and to brew with the grounds that pass through the sieve. Not only that, but he recommends brisk agitation (stirring) of the slurry.

Compared to what I'm usually doing, this seems like "ludicrous fine" territory. The grinds in the foreground passed a 500-micron sieve:

If you're looking to get a really high extraction rate, I'm sure this accomplishes that goal. I've never sieved my espresso grounds, but the grounds that pass the 500-micron sieve seem finer (more powdery) than what I use for espresso.

LeBourbon (original poster)

#25: Post by LeBourbon (original poster) »

I apologize for missing these last few posts; I still can't quite figure out why HB is not notifying me when someone replies to a post I follow.

As for grind size, my grind is just a bit coarser than the one pictured in the foreground of the image posted by Eastsideloco.

My experience is that Perger's method really stands to benefit from using a stepless burr grinder. The perfect grind is often just in-between two steps on a stepped grinder (like the Baratza Maestro, etc.).

Overall, though, following a thorough preheat of the dripper, I've been getting some very nice V60 brews as of late. :-)
Eastsideloco wrote:I keep meaning to do the same. Matt Perger's advice is use a 500-micron sieve (or finer) to remove "boulders" and to brew with the grounds that pass through the sieve. Not only that, but he recommends brisk agitation (stirring) of the slurry.

Compared to what I'm usually doing, this seems like "ludicrous fine" territory. The grinds in the foreground passed a 500-micron sieve:

<image>

If you're looking to get a really high extraction rate, I'm sure this accomplishes that goal. I've never sieved my espresso grounds, but the grounds that pass the 500-micron sieve seem finer (more powdery) than what I use for espresso.