Grind Setting / Quantity Adjustments for Bonavita

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Bbdude

#1: Post by Bbdude »

Hey all.

Quick question. I'm using my Bonavita to make Red Bird's excellent Ethiopia Sidama - Shakisso. The cup is delicious but I thought maybe I can make it better?

I'm using a Breville Smart Grinder on the #6 setting (six clicks from left). I really like the blue berry notes in this coffe and would love to bring them out even more.

I usually do 30oz of water and around 48g of coffee (smart grinder set to 6 cups).

How would I bring out more fruity notes? Add coffee at the same grind setting? Keep coffee amount the same but more fine? Something else?

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

Based on your water to coffee ratio (about 17.7:1), you definitely have headroom, so to speak, to increase the dose. I'd probably try that first.

Bbdude (original poster)

#3: Post by Bbdude (original poster) replying to Eastsideloco »

Tried an extra 8g this morning. Made the coffee too nutty maybe even a little bitter, which totally removed any hint of blueberry.

I guess my next step is making the grind finer?

drgary
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary »

You could sieve the fines to get a more even extraction and greater cup clarity. The bitterness may come from fines (dust) getting overextracted).
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Bbdude (original poster)

#5: Post by Bbdude (original poster) replying to drgary »

There is quite a bit of dust. What do you recommend using to accomplish this? Pasta Strainer?

drgary
Team HB

#6: Post by drgary »

Something quite a bit finer than that. yakster found some sieving material at a paint store. TomC likes a #40 sieve, but they can be expensive. I visited someone awhile back who had a cone shaped strainer he used for beef stock, and that worked well. I just glanced at the mosquito screen on our window. Something like that would probably work but others in your household might object if you let flies into the house ...
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Eastsideloco

#7: Post by Eastsideloco »

Bbdude wrote:Tried an extra 8g this morning. Made the coffee too nutty maybe even a little bitter, which totally removed any hint of blueberry.

I guess my next step is making the grind finer?
Maybe not. Grinding finer will likely increase bitter flavors as well. I might stay at the new dose and grind more coarse. (Then change course, if need be.)

Matt Perger's "best extraction" chart is useful in times like these:

Here's the blog post:

http://baristahustle.com/8020-method/

Bbdude (original poster)

#8: Post by Bbdude (original poster) »

Thanks, all.

We've tried grinding more, grinder finer, grinder coarser, but have not tried grinding less. It's especially frustrating since we just went through a lb of this coffee a few weeks ago and it was great start to finish using the same settings we're using today.

Bbdude (original poster)

#9: Post by Bbdude (original poster) »

E-mailed the roaster. Apparently since the beans are sun-dried naturally ... they're prone to tasting difference based on the weather and several other factors. This coffee has been pretty consistently different, and not in a bad way. I've tried to tweak it all over the place and I believe I had it right from the start so will just hope I get a different lot next time :D