Mahlkonig EK43 + Espresso in Texas?

Talk about your favorite cafes, local barista events, or plan your own get-together.
CrabRangoon

#1: Post by CrabRangoon »

For some time now, I've been seeking to try out espresso that was ground by an EK43. I know of plenty of cafes equipped with them, but none use them (or seem willing to use them) for pulling shots. Hopefully HB can help me find either a home user or an establishment in Texas that does competently so I can give it a try. Heck, I'd even settle for an experimental friendly barista who's willing to use the EK outside their establishment's standard protocol :lol:

I'm flexible regarding travel in Austin & the surrounding area; but I'd be happy to go as far as San Antonio or into the hill country. We venture out to the DFW area every couple months, so North Texas would be fine too. If the source happens to be a home user, I'd be happy to bring along beans or even bring my little lever machine along if they'd like to try something a bit different.
LMWDP #505

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by uscfroadie »

Brown Coffee at 1800 Broadway in San Antonio has an EK43 that they occasionally use for espresso. Brown Coffee Company
Merle

CrabRangoon (original poster)

#3: Post by CrabRangoon (original poster) replying to uscfroadie »

Thanks, I'll be sure to check them out the next time we hit SA. Patika was the only cafe in town I know of who intended to use an EK for espresso (or so their barista told me), so I've emailed them asking if they'd entertain such a request.
LMWDP #505

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#4: Post by EspressoForge »

I'm interested to try one out as well, if I find one up here in the DFW area I'll be sure to let you know. Lately I've been pulling light roasts, so I'm also curious as to what an EK43 or R120 would offer.

dpiette
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by dpiette »

Last time I was at Blacksmith in Houston they were using one.
you can't win,
you can't break even,
you have to play.
-the three laws of thermodynamics

CrabRangoon (original poster)

#6: Post by CrabRangoon (original poster) replying to dpiette »

D'oh, now I'm bummed our travels never take us that way :oops:
Good to know, though - thanks for chiming in!
LMWDP #505

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#7: Post by EspressoForge »

http://www.houndstoothcoffee.com/

They use one for their pourovers I've heard. Maybe they could be convinced to try it out for an espresso shot the day the owner is in?