Mahlkonig K30 Vario - weird read-out

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
sarpar

#1: Post by sarpar »

Got my MK K30 Vario about a month ago. Its been fantastic, getting better each week with seasoning.

This morning something weird happened to the read out. It went from "D 3.7" (normal) then to "0000307" then a few button pushes later to "?" with a frown under it. I turned it off and on, unplugged it, pushed every button for three seconds while off and on. You name it I tried it.

I called Chris's coffee, where I got it, they had never heard of this before so they then transferred me to Malkonig in Cali. who thinks it may be the timer board issue.

Anyone ever hear of this before? Or have this happen to them?

Should I ask for a new one instead of sending this one in to be fixed? its practically brand new and should not be having issues!

Sarah

Nate42

#2: Post by Nate42 »

If it's brand new you are certainly in your right to ask for a new grinder. The only downside would be the inconvenience of return shipping a heavy grinder, rather than potentially replacing a small electronics board yourself. Chris has great customer service, I'm sure they'll work something out that satisfies you.

On the entire one K30 I have personal experience with, I have not seen that particular problem, but as an electronics guy, I'm not surprised either. You have what amounts to a simple computer in there controlling the display and the timing, and these sort of problems do happen. Probably either a defective electronic component or a bad solder joint, but in these cases it's almost always cheaper and easier to replace an entire board rather than finding the real problem.

homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

Since that problem is surely limited to the circuit board, and not anything else in the grinder, it seems reasonable that they would want to replace just that part and send you back your grinder with your seasoned burrs. Big downside to that is the time you'll be without a grinder. Maybe they have someone in Seattle who can fix it under warranty? That would be ideal.

My K-30 arrived new in the box with a broken adjustment pot on the double-dose side. I could still use it, and was so excited to have it (loved that it was so fast, quiet, and had precise reproducible grind adjustment) that I didn't want to send it back. CCS referred me to the California telephone support person (Brian) who put a new pot in the priority mail right away - I had the problem fixed 4 days after calling. But the new part came with no instructions or tips, and Mahlkonig USA had none of those nice how-to's and instructional videos like you see from Baratza. You might consider going that route on yours if you're mechanically handy.

P.S.
Other than the brochure and owner's manual, I could find no technical info at the Mahlkonig and Mahlkonigusa web sites. There is some online info on the Ditting KE640 (some parts lists and a few troubleshooting and service tips) on the Ditting USA web site. The KE640 is the same as the Mahlkonig K-30.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

sarpar (original poster)

#4: Post by sarpar (original poster) »

Well Brian at Malkonig got back to me and they are so fabulous they are going to send me out a new one, then I'll return this one so I don't have to be without a grinder for a few weeks. Yes I'm a bit sad about having to re-season but honestly they weren't too bad about fissures and squirting to begin with, just some extra adjusting to get the shot right.

FYI if this happens to anyone in the future. I unplugged it for a few hours and plugged it back in, still had the "?" so I unplugged it again, decided to again press both buttons and hold them down for ten seconds. The next time I plugged it in again a few hours later (hope is eternal) it actually started working properly again!!!

I love this machine, it is fantastic, fluffy, no clumping or static on the grinds even on the finest setting. It does work much better with at least a half pound in the hopper tho so switching between roasts...not its forte.

homeburrero
Team HB

#5: Post by homeburrero »

sarpar wrote:Well Brian at Malkonig got back to me and they are so fabulous they are going to send me out a new one, then I'll return this one so I don't have to be without a grinder for a few weeks.
That is perfect! So glad it worked out well, and good to see that the grinder comes with such excellent warranty support.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h