Recommendation: Espresso Machine & Grinder Set, Budget ~$2000 - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
coffeedom

#21: Post by coffeedom »

If you decide on what you want and don't need to see it in person, idrinkcoffee.com in Milton ON is a really solid vendor, maybe the best in Canada (IMHO) and I wouldn't hesitate buying from them. Good online store and very good showroom if you visit. Probably the best prices in Canada overall as well. If you contact them by email they may still give you the Father's day sale on what you want, if you are lucky. They carry all the machines and grinders you are considering and have a good tech team in place if anything goes wrong.

Dre I see that you have settled on the M80e as your likely grinder. I may be in the minority here but I feel the Vario is the better choice for home use. The M80e is more solidly built but I think the Vario has superior grind quality and is vastly superior for single dosing or switching coffees frequently. It also does a good drip and if you put in steel burrs later, awesome drip/chemex/french press. The M80e is just espresso.

I've compared the M80e and Vario side by side and preferred the Vario for espresso. The M80e with the same coffee and pour characteristics was also more prone to spritzing.

I would only go for the M80e if you basically use one type of coffee all the time, have a full hopper, and dial it in once for espresso and then basically leave it, only making very minor changes as needed. If you change coffees, single dose, or change grind settings often, you will burn through a LOT of coffee on the M80e (or any large burr grinder).

The Vario is plenty sturdy for years of home use, has at least as good grind quality, and is much easier to use in every possible way.

My $0.02...

dre (original poster)

#22: Post by dre (original poster) »

Thanks coffeedom feel free to give your 0.02$ anytime. Since you had the chance to use both can you provide more details regarding the noise and the grind time:
- which makes less noise? And is there a big difference?
- how faster is the QM80E to grind 16g?

Also are these grinders good enough, should I decide to go with a higher-end espresso machine (might buy the grinder and save more money for a higher-end espresso machine)

Thanks everyone for your help

coffeedom

#23: Post by coffeedom »

Hi dre, the Vario is definitely quieter, but both are moderately noisy. The M80E is much faster and will grind 16g in a few seconds. The Vario would take maybe 10 seconds. If you are making a lot of shots, the M80E might be better, but in normal use, 10 seconds is not long at all. If you grind into a yogurt cup inserted into the basket, you can just leave the portafilter on the grinder and do other things during that time, so grind time will not affect your workflow.

Both these grinders will make decent espresso. I give the Vario the slight edge in taste, but many others think them about equal or slightly prefer the M80E. They are both good-very good.

If you want *generally* sweeter, more layered espresso with sometimes better body and more persistent crema I would go for the HG-One or an equivalent titan conical. Once you get to the level of large conical or large flat burr grinders, you get to the top tier, and at this level there is some debate about what is best and it goes back and forth and swings with new technologies and new bigger and badder grinders appearing. At that level it really comes down to features, taste, and how idiosyncratic you like your espresso to be.

At home, ease of use and overall taste are the most important factors to me, and I'd go with a Vario in that price range, or an HG One at the higher tier.

dre (original poster)

#24: Post by dre (original poster) »

Thanks coffeedom, I am definitely leaning towards the Vario due to its price and its availability in Montreal.

Last question, I keep hearing from that the Vario is not recommended shoul i decide to have dual use (e.g. swith from espresso to drip) is there a reason why it is not recommended (e.g. damage the mechanics, damage de burrs, recalibration not consistent,...)

Thanks all.

mikeness

#25: Post by mikeness »

Having bought a Vario expecting to do just that (go back and forth between espresso and drip), and having ignored everyone's advice who said it couldn't be done... read my lips (keys?): IT DOESN'T WORK, so don't do it.

Why not? I haven't a clue, and it doesn't matter... it just doesn't. I found the Vario to be very temperamental, so using it for espresso in general can be a bit challenging. Constantly changing the setting only makes it a more frustrating grinder to use and can result in a few bad shots per session.

I now have a Super Jolly for espresso and use my Vario for brew only. If I were to do it again, I'd get the Super Jolly first and an Encore for brew, but oh well.

P.S. I don't mean to be so prescriptive. This is of course my own opinion, but I feel like the "everyone has a different experience" posts didn't work on me so I'm trying a more direct approach to help you out :)

cmin

#26: Post by cmin »

dre wrote:Thanks coffeedom, I am definitely leaning towards the Vario due to its price and its availability in Montreal.

Last question, I keep hearing from that the Vario is not recommended shoul i decide to have dual use (e.g. swith from espresso to drip) is there a reason why it is not recommended (e.g. damage the mechanics, damage de burrs, recalibration not consistent,...)

Thanks all.
The adjustment mechanisms are not stout enough for switching back and forth, puts extra wear causing settings that worked before to not work when going back. The Forte is about the only "affordable" (still pricey) grinder especially less than a grand capable of doing the full range.

I use my Vario for espresso only, no issues here nor wandering settings etc as that's been remedied long ago.