Is there a "best" or "better" tamper? Flat or convex?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Barb
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Barb »

Since good espresso rests on all steps in the process,including preparing the coffee, (grind, dose, tamp) is there any difference between tampers. I am not including the light weight plastic items often packaged with espresso machines.
I see convex shapes, flat tampers etc

Is it just a matter of personal preference and what is available at the local specialty shop?

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

Flat tampers are currently in vogue, and especially custom tampers that closely fit your filter basket and lately tampers without a bevel between the tamping surface and the sides. There's advocates for all the different shapes and some feel it's machine dependent. I've always used a flat tamper and not worried too much about precision fit or bevels, but I also use home lever machines.

Most people agree that having a level tamp is one of the most important facet of tamping, but a lot of people feel that tamping isn't one of the more critical factors in espresso prep.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Advertisement
brianl

#3: Post by brianl »

The only reason to use one over the other is the recommendation by VST to use flat tampers with its baskets. Otherwise, it's just barista Jewelry.

russel

#4: Post by russel »

Very much a matter of personal preference. I have a couple different curves, flats, and c-flats in a variety of diameters. I've never used a rippled surface for more that a shot or two. I tend use whatever flat feels like the best fit with the least play for my basket and dose.

I didn't expect it, but I like the feel of the RB powder coated regular sized handles more that most wood handles. Still, I enjoy having a variety of shapes and sizes. Tamping is about a third of your tactile interaction with your shot making, so I think it's worth spending a bit more to make it an enjoyable and exciting thing.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

boar_d_laze

#5: Post by boar_d_laze »

No best shape. Some people believe the base of the tamper should match the arc of the bottom of the basket if there is one, but I don't believe that preferences is supported by much testing. Currently, the most popular shapes are the American curve, the C, and flat. Not too many folks use a "Euro curve." In addition to the variety of base shapes, there's also a choice of bottoms -- flat or ripple. Like shape, the presence or absence of ripples doesn't make a difference in the cup, but they leave a very cool pattern on the puck.

The diameter of the tamper is very important though. It should be a tight enough fit to ensure a good edge seal, even without nutating (although you probably should nutate). Whether or not you use VST baskets, a VST sized tamper (58.3 - 58.4mm dia) is usually the best fit for "58mm" baskets such as those used for your Strega.

Older tamping theory had us tamping with 30 lbs of force, but most of us have gone to lighter tamps without ill effect.

Choose a tamer which is comfortable to hold, heavy enough to do most of the work for you, and which makes it easy for you to get a level top. You may find that a thin or a thick disk makes it easier for you to use your finger tips to find level -- I can't tell you which would be most helpful for you.

I have a bunch of tampers but only use two very often. One is a conventional, heavy tamper with a short handle and thick, C-Ripple base from Coffee Complements.

The other, my favorite is a "Butterfly Tamper" (no longer available) which is light, whose handle is too small to be used during the tamp, and with which I use well under 10 pounds of force:

The reason I'm doing a show and tell about what I use and how I use it is not to get you follow my example but to illustrate that there are a variety of tools and techniques which work, and you don't have to limit your choices to a non-existent but putative "best."

Don't cheap out. You want something solid and well-finished. The least expensive, well made tamper is probably the Rattleware. Coffee Complements (aka Precision Tamper Maker on ebay) are extremely well made for the price. Reg Barber tampers are on the pricey side, but offers the greatest number of choices, and are beautifully made. But don't restrict yourself there are tons of excellent makers.

Over the years, you'll probably collect a few until you find one which is exactly right for you and your technique. As to your first, the best advice I can give is: Buy something with a 58.35mm diameter base which tickles your fancy. If I were buying you a tamper, it would be a heavy based, short handle.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

yatesd

#6: Post by yatesd »

I initially used the tamper that came with my QM Vetrano 2B and it seemed fine (although a little too much height). I grabbed a closeout model from Chris Coffee (Cafelat Royal convex, since sold out) that I enjoy better. It has a shorter, stubbier profile that seems easier to use.

They still have some closeout versions available if you want to try something different without spending too much.

https://www.chriscoffee.com/Close-Out-Sale-s/7829.htm

Barb (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by Barb (original poster) »

Thank you,all
I love the wealth of detail.. Rich (Boar_d_Laze), thanks for the Show and Tell, interesting tamper, indeed

So, I will have more fun with accoutrements... :)

Advertisement
sweaner

#8: Post by sweaner »

I have used this convex tamper for years. I like it better than my flat tamper, and you can't beat the price.

http://smile.amazon.com/Clear-Espresso- ... EBES86VVQE
Scott
LMWDP #248

cmin

#9: Post by cmin »

boar_d_laze wrote:No best shape. Some people believe the base of the tamper should match the arc of the bottom of the basket if there is one, but I don't believe that preferences is supported by much testing. Currently, the most popular shapes are the American curve, the C, and flat. Not too many folks use a "Euro curve." In addition to the variety of base shapes, there's also a choice of bottoms -- flat or ripple. Like shape, the presence or absence of ripples doesn't make a difference in the cup, but they leave a very cool pattern on the puck.

The diameter of the tamper is very important though. It should be a tight enough fit to ensure a good edge seal, even without nutating (although you probably should nutate). Whether or not you use VST baskets, a VST sized tamper (58.3 - 58.4mm dia) is usually the best fit for "58mm" baskets such as those used for your Strega.

Older tamping theory had us tamping with 30 lbs of force, but most of us have gone to lighter tamps without ill effect.

Choose a tamer which is comfortable to hold, heavy enough to do most of the work for you, and which makes it easy for you to get a level top. You may find that a thin or a thick disk makes it easier for you to use your finger tips to find level -- I can't tell you which would be most helpful for you.

I have a bunch of tampers but only use two very often. One is a conventional, heavy tamper with a short handle and thick, C-Ripple base from Coffee Complements.

The other, my favorite is a "Butterfly Tamper" (no longer available) which is light, whose handle is too small to be used during the tamp, and with which I use well under 10 pounds of force:
<image> tampers are on the pricey side, but offers the greatest number of choices, and are beautifully made. But don't restrict yourself there are tons of excellent makers.

Over the years, you'll probably collect a few until you find one which is exactly right for you and your technique. As to your first, the best advice I can give is: Buy something with a 58.35mm diameter base which tickles your fancy. If I were buying you a tamper, it would be a heavy based, short handle.

Rich
Was looking at new baskets, bit confused about the HQ ones, theres an 21g tripple, a 14g, and a 21g ridgeless, assuming the 21g ridgeless is a double? Read somewhere on here that its the old HQ 18g basket but renamed. Saw some use the 14g for 18g doses. So not sure whether to get the 14g or the 21g ridgeless?

The stock CC1 double can hold 18g but depends on the bean/blend/roast type. Been sticking more around a medium roast and at that dose it's hitting the ridge locking in. Seems to be the limit, no clue how some said they fit 20g no prob. The CC1 screen has a slight ridge where the screen recesses into which can imprint the edge of the puck when dosed high. So not sure if that will happen with the HQ14 or if the 21 will be better?

Was going to buy a new tamper around 58.3-58.4 from Precision (coffee compliments) anyway, how I saw this post searching lol.

edit - after talking to espressoparts went with the ridgeless HQ 21g. Was going to order another tamper from Pham (compliments/precision), but decided to check on Amazon to see if anything was available fast. Ended up coming across this http://www.amazon.com/Premium-Quality-E ... 5mm+tamperand there was a return/used one, so got a 58.35mm tamper for 30 bucks and should be here saturday b/c of prime, damn good deal lol. I don't know who makes it, found something that said their from Israel. Handle is apparently a nice and grippy type plastic/resin, but can always switch the handle out.