Precision baskets for La Spaziale - Page 2

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
JerDGold

#11: Post by JerDGold »

DanSF wrote:Hope you will update us as your experiences accumulate.
Updates! The warning here is that these are not blind tests and I am not an impartial judge. (Fancy, shiny, expensive things should work better than their opposition).

Pulled six shots, three from my stock La Spaz double and three from the IMS Precision double. 15.4 -15.6 grams each shot of Metropolis Redline from Chicago. My original conclusions remain correct.

The three from the IMS baskets appears to be flow more evenly, and slower. I am no pro barista, but my technique is solid. Light nutation -> hard tamp -> polish -> Mike's Song -> I Am Hydrogen -> Weekapaug.

Each IMS shot pulled ~ a 1:2 ratio 28-30 sec. Clean, sweet honeyed caramel up front finishing with a lightly bitter walnut and mild undertones of citrus zest. Pretty solid if I must say so myself.

Shots out of the stock basket had much less seperation of these flavors. I could taste the sweetness, and the acid. But they seemed jumbled and amalgamated. These shots finished dirtier tasting and more bitter, as if pulled with filthy equipment. (They weren't).

I don't know what these IMS baskets are going for, but without making cost/benefit adjusment they have my endorsement.