Reduced flow rate from Elektra Semiautomatica

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Dogshot

#1: Post by Dogshot »

I'm not certain whether there was a sudden drop in flow rate a few days ago, or whether the flow dropped to a point where it became noticeable to me, but my Semiautomatica now takes about 45 seconds to deliver 125ml of water (with no pf on the group). My pump is only about 2 months old, and I just descaled the brew path. Could my pump be dying again? Any other suggestions as to what might be causing my problem?
LMWDP #106

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

There's a jet and filter at the rear of the group. Might be worth checking out.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement
Dogshot (original poster)

#3: Post by Dogshot (original poster) »

Thanks, Jim. I guess it's time to disassemble the group. If I can rule out the water path from the boiler to the pf, then it must be either the pump or the water path from the pump to the boiler. I guess it could also be a crack in the HX, in which case I would be getting water flow into the boiler while brewing.

Mark
LMWDP #106

gashuebr

#4: Post by gashuebr »

Not to be argumentative, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a filter in the group to protect the gigleur from becoming obstructed with debris. None is shown on the semi's parts breakdown and I certainly don't have one in my semi (circa 2006). My T1 has a filter in the group before the gigleur, but not the semi.

Given the gigleur orifice is quite small it can easily become obstructed. Check it for obstruction. Item 12 in the semi's parts breakdown illustration.

another_jim
Team HB

#5: Post by another_jim »

gashuebr wrote:Not to be argumentative, but I'm pretty sure there isn't a filter in the group to protect the gigleur from becoming obstructed.
Mine has a little brass mesh at one end, the restriction at the other, all one piece. The model is from around 2005.
Jim Schulman

#6: Post by Dogshot (original poster) »

Thanks again for the suggestions. I've been digging around my Semiautomatica, but I have not found the jet and filter. I have not unscrewed the bolt listed as part 17 in the diagram - is the jet and filter behind this bolt?

LMWDP #106

another_jim
Team HB

#7: Post by another_jim »

Part 19 is the Jet.
Jim Schulman

Advertisement

#8: Post by Dogshot (original poster) »

Thanks, Jim! Cleaning the gicleur and the space around it solved my flow problem. When I removed the large bolt, some sludgy water came out. I cleaned the gicleur and the surrounding space, although the gicleur looked pretty clean when I pulled it from the group. I think my unit was manufactured in 2008 or 2009, and there was no filter.

I'm really pleased to be up and running again, and I really appreciate the help.
LMWDP #106

another_jim
Team HB

#9: Post by another_jim »

Interesting. There was another poster who solved a similar problem just be loosening the screw. It looks like the cavity getting dirty, rather than the gicleur getting blocked, is the culprit.
Jim Schulman