Design rotates during latte art pours

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
shochatd

#1: Post by shochatd »

I have a problem that usually occurs when pouring latte art. When I begin to pour, the coffee (and now, milk) all starts rotating clockwise, dragging my attempted design along with it. I've tried varying various angles, but I usually (not always) get this annoying rotation. In the various videos I've watched, nobody else seems to have this problem. I'd love to know what I'm doing wrong and how to correct it. Thanks in advance.

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

I also struggle with this problem sometimes. I found that I get the best pour when the actual body of the pitcher is on the lip of the cup, which gets to spout extremely close to the crema. If you could post a video It would probably be helpful.

shochatd (original poster)

#3: Post by shochatd (original poster) »

Ok, I believe I have succeeded in creating a video of the problem. I am very new at this and obviously got my hand between the light source and the subject, but I think you can still see what I'm talking about.

Stereo Heathen

#4: Post by Stereo Heathen »

shochatd wrote:Ok, I believe I have succeeded in creating a video of the problem. I am very new at this and obviously got my hand between the light source and the subject, but I think you can still see what I'm talking about.

http://www.vimeo.com/127411596
It looks like you're pouring off-center in the cup, toward your left.
Your milk also seems to be very thin, accentuating this issue.

To pour latte art, especially with very thin milk, it will probably be helpful to pour a small amount into the espresso first and allow it to sit for a moment, before attempting to create your design. This also makes it easier to pour without breaking the consistent brown of the crema, as this video shows happening.

shochatd (original poster)

#5: Post by shochatd (original poster) »

Thank you Stereo Heathen, for your reply. I have tried your suggestion of pouring some milk into the espresso and waiting a moment. This does seem to improve things, but I'm still getting the rotation, in spite of my efforts to keep things centered. If I could get it to go the other way (CCW) then I think it would lead me to discovering how to get no rotation at all. I will try some whole milk as an experiment, although that's not a long-term solution for me due to health considerations. I will also try what I think LukeFlynn is suggesting (pitcher touching the cup) although I don't think I've seen that in videos of people getting good results.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

shochatd wrote:I will also try what I think LukeFlynn is suggesting (pitcher touching the cup) although I don't think I've seen that in videos of people getting good results.
That's what Lem recommends in Newbie Introduction to Espresso - Latte Art. He certainly had good results here.
Dan Kehn

heavyduty

#7: Post by heavyduty »

While pouring from high at the beginning, try moving the milk stream right up the middle from bottom to top, then come back around and drop your pitcher down to the crema towards the middle of the cup. Maybe this will help (or not :roll: ). :lol:
Tomorrow came sooner than expected.

Paul