Plumbed in the Profitec. Maximum input pressure?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
lagoon

#1: Post by lagoon »

Hi guys,

I finally got around to plumbing in the Pro 700.

So it's now running off mains, and then through a 3M Filtration setup that has a 350kpa Pressure Limiting Valve in line.

It all seems to be running nicely, but the Profitec manual indicates that the maximum input pressure should be 2 Bar (200kpa). The gauge on the machine is reading 3.5 Bar (as expected from the 350kpa PLV).

Is this going to be a problem? Most of the filtration setups seem to run a 350kpa PLV. It doesn't seem that lower PLV's are commonly available?

Thanks for any advice on this one.

imtiredofbadcoffee

#2: Post by imtiredofbadcoffee »

Isn't your regulator adjustable, like this one?

https://www.chriscoffee.com/v/vspfiles/ ... _Final.pdf

joe
I can't spell. My screen name should be Iamtiredofbadcoffee.

lagoon (original poster)

#3: Post by lagoon (original poster) »

Thanks. No I haven't been able to locate one like that.

I'm using this: http://clean-machine.com.au/Chromed-Bra ... t-RMC.html

It's fixed at 350kpa (3.5 bar) and I haven't been able to find something similar but with a lower value - say 1.5 or 2 bar.

Maybe I'll need to hunt down an adjustable one.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

lagoon wrote:It all seems to be running nicely, but the Profitec manual indicates that the maximum input pressure should be 2 Bar (200kpa).
My guess is they recommend the lower pressure to reduce the (admittedly small) risk of flooding. As with any hydraulic system, the higher the pressure, the higher the risk of a leak. For example, the steam boiler fill solenoid may be subjected to mains pressure or the upper valve in the E61 group. These types of valves are closed by a spring and higher pressure means greater potential for drip drip drip. I no longer have the Pro 700, but some espresso machines will have a normally closed solenoid on the inlet to act as a backflow preventer and reduce the risk of dripping at higher pressure.
Dan Kehn

lagoon (original poster)

#5: Post by lagoon (original poster) »

Thanks Dan. I guess I'll need to keep a close eye on it until I track down a more suitable PLV.

Bikeminded

#6: Post by Bikeminded »

I plumbed in a Profitec not too long ago. FYI if any info is of value....
Just Another Plumbing Project

lagoon (original poster)

#7: Post by lagoon (original poster) »

Thanks, lots of good info there. Can't believe I missed that thread!

neutro

#8: Post by neutro »

I waited until I could procure an adjustable pressure regulator before plumbing my Pro 700.

When adjusting the regulator, I could hear the sound of the pump change. Below about 3 bars or so, it becomes much quieter.

As far as I can gather, this is because of cavitation in the rotatry pump at higher pressures. Apart from the increased noise, this can lead to premature pump wear on the long run. So I'd advise finding an adjustable regulator. I managed to import mine from Chris Coffee's through idrinkcoffee in Canada.

Since the pressure has to be adjusted while the water is flowing, you cannot adjust the pressure using the pump manometer on the machine, so get a model with an included gauge.

I too have a Pro 700 plumb-in thread :)

lagoon (original poster)

#9: Post by lagoon (original poster) »

Thanks, more good info.

The good news is that I have now found a supplier for an adjustable PLV to suit, and it is enroute.

It is adjustable from 1.5 to 5 bar, so I figure I'll just run it at the lower end of the scale. Will post pics when all rigged up.

Pino

#10: Post by Pino »

Steve,

Which pressure regulator did you install?