Espro - Seconds Available

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
DouloScott

#1: Post by DouloScott »

I was just visiting the Espro site and their seconds http://espro.ca/shop-master/seconds-the-espro-press page has small, medium and large presses available for purchase at a decent discount and free shipping to the US and Canada. I bought a large from the seconds page a few months ago and love it. I am still not certain why it was a "second" as I can't easily see where there was an imperfection.

baldheadracing
Team HB

#2: Post by baldheadracing »

I have a large second that I received about three weeks ago. They shipped me a medium by mistake - so I have had a couple seconds to look at.

I know quite a few folks have said that they received great seconds ESPRO Seconds - a few available , but both of the ones that I received were/are fit only for camping duty - I certainly wouldn't use mine with guests or on the dinner table.

Both were/are obvious seconds. The medium that I shipped back had incomplete welding of the handle to the body. If I had known what the large was going to be like, then I would have kept the medium. (They offered me the choice before the large was shipped out.) The large has scratches/scuff marks on the bottom, a bent/bowed-out handle, (also) an incomplete weld of the handle to the body, and a small hole/divot (weld blow-through) where the top lip is incompletely welded to the body - so there is a black gouge visible on the outside at the top of the press. I had to use a grinder to remove the weld splatter on the inside of the press so it wouldn't scrape the silicon gasket. If there was a return policy available - there isn't, I checked - then I would have returned it. The press does work, which is all that they promised. It also looks mostly great.

Please excuse my first-world whine :oops: but I wanted to let people know that sometimes seconds really are seconds.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

ira
Team HB

#3: Post by ira »

They describe seconds as:
SLIGHTLY SCRATCHED AND/OR DENTED

Seconds have small scratches and dents in the stainless steel container and/or lid, and may have a damaged box. They have not been used to make coffee (yet!).
What you're describing does not sound like it fits that description.

Ira

baldheadracing
Team HB

#4: Post by baldheadracing »

ira wrote:What you're describing does not sound like it fits that description.
It does, actually. The description says nothing about visibility or quantity. Mine is just "slightly scratched" and "dented" (the description title doesn't say slightly dented...) in visible ways in multiple places.

A true second, in other words. Luck of the draw...

On the plus side, the box is perfect! (The medium box was smushed in on one side.)
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada