Espresso equipment budget ~$5000 - Page 3

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
Javierati (original poster)

#21: Post by Javierati (original poster) »

boar_d_laze wrote:Thanks Steve, I was aware of that. The question is whether Javier (the OP) is planning on plumbing it in, or running it off the reservoir.

Rich
I plan to first run the the Lucca M58 off the reservoir. I need to do some modifications to my kitchen in order to have it plumbed in. I don't think it will be an issue for me, one because the volume is low (4-5 per day), and two because the sink is 2 feet away, making dumping of the dirty water a non-issue for now. Filling up the reservoir is a matter of routine (not ideal, but works for now).

boar_d_laze

#22: Post by boar_d_laze replying to Javierati »

I wasn't talking about convenience (although that ends up being a relatively big thing which ultimately makes a difference in the cup for many of us), but about preinfusion.

An E61 group performs rudimentary preinfusion feeding off the reservoir; better than nothing, but not nearly as good as E61 preinfusion off the line. The difference is a major improvement in forgiveness.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

Advertisement
Beenbag

#23: Post by Beenbag »

boar_d_laze wrote:m

An E61 group performs rudimentary preinfusion feeding off the reservoir; better than nothing, but not nearly as good as E61 preinfusion off the line. The difference is a major improvement in forgiveness.

Rich
I assume you are referring to the 3-5 sec pre-infusion system designed into the E61 group.
That is a major feature and advantage of the E61 group design.
However, the "Line pressure" (mid lever position ?). PI you advocate is not a feature that will necessarily work on all E61 groups.
It relies on build/assembly tolerances allowing the inlet valve to open in the "mid position" before the pump actuates . That is not a deliberate or intended set of circumstances since the mid position is meant to be "neutral" with all valves closed and the pump off .
Whilst I accept that it works on many E61's , it infact does not happen on many other similar E 61's.
Indeed, some users have to carefully lift the lever in mid position to open the inlet valve and create that situation.
It's also worth noting , that many HX E61 tank feed machines will also pre-infuse without the pump in that mid position, due to the thermally induced internal pressure in the HX circuit ( though likely at 1 bar max ).