Starbucks purchasing large quantities of CoE coffees - Page 2

Discuss flavors, brew temperatures, blending, and cupping notes.
farmroast

#11: Post by farmroast »

COE is much like big name supermarkets or restaurant buying the top steer at a major livestock show/auction for big money. Promotional. I remember the first lots Target bought they sold well below cost, bag in a canister too. In the start there were some great deals but that was bound to change as it got established and known.

Merely helping more of the farmers in growing/picking/processing better in the best areas would add a lot more great coffees.
LMWDP #167 "with coffee we create with wine we celebrate"

espressobsessed

#12: Post by espressobsessed »

CoE coffees: destined for their new concept stores for their three biggest markets? Not going to speculate on roast level, but I'm guessing it will be done in their 120kg or 25kg Probat in Seattle up the street from convention centre (down the street from Victrola. Typical mermaid move.

Boldjava

#13: Post by Boldjava »

espressobsessed wrote:... but I'm guessing it will be done in their 120kg or 25kg Probat in Seattle up the street from convention centre (down the street from Victrola. Typical mermaid move.
Most roasters I know tackle very expensive coffees in smaller roasters, often at half roaster capacity until they get a feel for the coffee.
-----
LMWDP #339

Boldjava

#14: Post by Boldjava »

Interesting data point buried in an article about SBUX's purchase of the COE.
Many in the very-high-end side of the coffee industry were surprised to see Starbucks buy that lot. Until then the company had been a stranger to these auctions, mainly because they don't offer the massive quantities of reasonably priced coffee it needs. In 2014, the company paid for its coffee an average $1.72 per pound...
http://rapidcityjournal.com/business/st ... 0e11d.html
-----
LMWDP #339