Tamping, polishing and friction

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
neutro

#1: Post by neutro »

When changing beans, finding the right grind setting is sometimes a long process, but it seems I'm getting better at judging grind coarseness by eye. I just made an interesting observation though: I think I can now predict if the grind is too coarse at the tamping stage. Perhaps a bit late in the process; but I've never read anything on that topic here.

It seems to me that the ease with which I can twist the tamper for a quick polish after tamping is correlated with the probability of getting geysers out of my naked portafilter. Once I grind fine enough, the tamper (US-curve convex) usually twist very easily and smoothly. On too coarse grinds, friction is perceptible even if by eye the grinds look fine enough.

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

by your standards my shots this week would have been terrible. However, I am using a VST sized tamper in the EPNW baskets so it's a tight fit. However, I can tell if the shot will gush by looking at the tamped puck usually.

neutro (original poster)

#3: Post by neutro (original poster) »

Yeah well... YMMV apparently :) It probably depends on the tamper too -- not sure if a flat tamper would spin as well as a convex one and I guess an Euro-curve convex tamper would spin better.

VisionScientist

#4: Post by VisionScientist »

How polished is the bottom of your tamper? I imagine that could make a big difference in how it behaves. I find that moisture adds a huge friction when I'm polishing. On a highly polished tamper I would hypothesize that a finer grind would be stickier. Interesting observation though.

neutro (original poster)

#5: Post by neutro (original poster) »

My tamper is not mirror finish but pretty smooth (machined aluminum I guess). Can't comment on moisture though. Moisture could make the grinds stick to the tamper more, or could also add cohesion to the puck and give a smoother surface for the tamper to slide on.

But this morning there was *indeed* a drop of moisture on my tamper and I felt lots of friction: a bit of coffee stuck to the tamper and there was a hole in the puck surface. Otherwise the grind was ok and I didn't know how to elegantly fix this so I just pulled a shot anyway. It was a good shot despite the surface damage on the puck.

mathof

#6: Post by mathof »

I stopped polishing a long time ago; I don't see the need for it. I just lift the tamper carefully (and vertically) from the surface of the puck. My tamper is a Reg Barber C-Flat.

Matt

neutro (original poster)

#7: Post by neutro (original poster) »

I just do it for fun :) But it turned out it can predict geysers up to a point in my case.

brianl

#8: Post by brianl »

polishing for me is just the easy way to get the tamper out of the basket. I've haven't seen improvements removing the step.

Joco

#9: Post by Joco »

Are you sure the "friction" you feel when polishing isn't related to grinds getting stuck between the tamper and basket edge?? I have found that you need to insert the tamper lightly at first then remove the tamper and then tamp with pressure.

If you're using a high quality tamper and basket the tolerances should be very close and any grinds between the edges will result in that friction

neutro (original poster)

#10: Post by neutro (original poster) »

I don't think the tolerances are that tight between my tamper and basket walls; my tamper is always easy to insert and as far as I can tell, friction comes from the underside, not the edges.

Anyways, since this is something I notice *after* the grind (of course), it's not really something I can solely use to dial in the grind. When the puck is tamped, I might as well pull a shot and see how it goes.