How to brew multiple cups with large Melitta #6 cone

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
smg65

#1: Post by smg65 »

This is my first post. Some background first: I was not liking my auto-drip coffee at home very much. At the time, I was buying pre-ground coffee. So at work, I decided to try the small (#2) Melitta cone and an electric kettle, using the same pre-ground coffee. What a difference... it was great! I then bought another electric kettle for the home, a burr grinder, and a French Press. A local roaster provides beans, and the roasted date is marked on the bags. The French Press coffee is excellent! But since I leave for work very early, I didn't want to make French Press at home on work days. So I decided to retire the auto-drip, and based on my positive experience with the small Melitta, I decided to (go cheap and) try the 10 cup Melitta (#6 cone) that comes with the glass carafe. At ten dollars, I didn't think it was much of a gamble! BTW... my pour-over gooseneck kettle arrives today. I haven't used one yet, but have had excellent results simply using the blunt spout, electric kettle with the small, single cup Melitta cone.

OK... that was a long story... sorry! So.. to my present dilemma. I'm trying to brew two cups at one time using the big Melitta pour over. I can't get it right! The coffee has been too weak, or too strong, or just plain old bad! I'm using bottled, purified water, and a scale to weigh the beans as well as the water so I can get the ratio right. All of the brewing instructions, tips or videos I have found regarding pour over show how to brew just one cup. I want to brew two cups at once with the large cone. What is the difference? Do I need to try a finer/coarser grind? Different ratios? Different pouring time? Different... something??? !! I'm really confused as to why the coffee is so good using the small cone, but I can't get it right with the large cone. BTW... I've been blooming the grinds for about 45 seconds before pouring, and I've been pouring slowly in a circular motion. After the blooming, the time elapsed to completion has been about 2 1/2 minutes, about the same as the small cone. I think the large cone has a larger hole, so the total time is similar. I've been waiting about 30-45 seconds after the kettle boils to start blooming and pouring.

Any advice is certainly appreciated! Thanks!!

MWJB

#2: Post by MWJB »

A larger brew will take more time than 2:30 (inc. 45s bloom).

Keep ratio & grind (any details on grinder?) the same, slow down the pour. It would be handy to know what weights you are using for both brews.

smg65 (original poster)

#3: Post by smg65 (original poster) »

Thank you, Mark, for your quick reply! I'll definitely slow down the pour. The gooseneck kettle should help me with that too. To be honest, I have never weighed the coffee or water when using the single cup cone. I use "about" two tablespoons for a "largish" mug. :roll: The single cup cone seems to be "forgiving"! For the large cone, I have tried many different ratios, with the latest being 31 grams to 550 grams of water. The grinder is a Capresso 565 Infinity. I've been grinding to medium-fine. The grinder seems OK, although I have to let it spin for a few seconds after I hear the beans have stopped grinding to ensure the ground beans make it down to the cup.

MWJB

#4: Post by MWJB »

31g to 550 is perhaps on the low side, maybe drop the water to 520/530?

I'd be looking for a total brew time around 4:30 with a 45sec bloom as a start point?

smg65 (original poster)

#5: Post by smg65 (original poster) »

Thank you. I will definitely try dropping the water. And I see my brew times have been too fast. I'll also be more careful as to keeping track about what I've tried and what the results have been... I haven't been very "scientific" about this so far! The new kettle arrives today, so I'll be trying that later. I'll post results this evening or in the morning. Thanks again!

smg65 (original poster)

#6: Post by smg65 (original poster) »

Here's the update, Mark. Thank you for your suggestions! I did change the ratio and the elapsed times as you suggested, and the coffee was definitely better yesterday evening. Also, I think making a difference, was the new gooseneck kettle which I used for the first time. It made the work a lot more precise and configurable. I had bought a fresh bag of beans yesterday ( a different blend) and tried those for this morning's brew. And that was even better yet. I think it's probably now a matter of "fine tuning", keeping track of what is working or not, and settling on some favorite roasts. And not least of all, getting quicker at it so I have time to breath before leaving for work in the morning! LOL I'd hate to resign myself to bringing the electric coffeemaker up from the basement for the morning coffee! Right now, I'm thinking everything through too much... and I'm not a quick thinker! Thanks again for your assistance...

MWJB

#7: Post by MWJB »

Good news! :-)