2014 HG-one, stepped or stepless? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
brianl

#11: Post by brianl »

cpreston wrote:That has not been my experience. I see 2-4 sec changes in shot times with one step change on the grind setting. I'm happy with it and just tweak dose very slightly to make smaller changes than that.
At the very most I can say 2 secs difference but its at the point where I can't tell if i changed something myself or its the grinder.

weebit_nutty

#12: Post by weebit_nutty »

cpreston wrote:That has not been my experience. I see 2-4 sec changes in shot times with one step change on the grind setting. I'm happy with it and just tweak dose very slightly to make smaller changes than that.
2-4 sec with a single step? That doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps your beans might be have been a bit past their prime?
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

keno

#13: Post by keno replying to weebit_nutty »

+1 to that. Something is seriously wrong with your dosing, distribution, or coffee if you are getting that big of a change in pour time with a single step.

This issue has been previously discussed in other threads and from my perspective as an HG One owner I can say the steps are practically stepless. By that I mean that I can't ever imagine myself wanting to move the collar less than the distance of a single step at a time. And as a friend of mine pointed out who is also an HG One owner that if for some strange reason you did feel that need that you can always slightly change the dose to compensate to achieve that level of precision.

As someone who works with statistics a lot I am always amused at how much people worry about precision and report statistics to an absurd level of decimal places (eg, p values). Worry about the HG One steps seems like the same kind of nonsense.

Read HG One's post on this topic here. They indicate that each step moves the burr carrier 0.013 mm (or 13 microns). The diameter of a human hair is reportedly 17-180 microns. So we are literally talking about splitting hairs!

cmin

#14: Post by cmin »

I used an original and newer stepped HG-One, I don't even see how thats possible on the new one? As said the "steps" are essentially step-less they are so super miniscule tiny. If your seeing that big of a difference something is wrong with your beans or dosing and prep work. I never even saw a difference like that on the Macro steps of a Preciso or Vario from one step to the other which is much larger/wider then an HG-One step.