ECM Classika - replacement steam tip ?

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
shutter-man

#1: Post by shutter-man »

Hi
I just bought a new ECM-Classika PID and was wondering whether there are replacement tips for the steamer (link ? Size? ) - and if that would actually benefit an easier mastering of micro-foaming .
will appreciate advice
Thanks
Ami
Shutter-man

BillRedding

#2: Post by BillRedding »

shutter-man,

Have you given enough time to your present tip to be SURE you need something else? That the problem IS the OEM 2-hole tip?

I ask because when I got my 2-hole OEM tip on MY machine, and found I was having trouble steaming milk (especially since I use very small amounts of milk, which makes frothing harder I'm told) -- so I ALSO thought I might need a 3 or 4-hole tip. But before I ordered one, I tried a different thing or two technique-wise and suddenly I had consistent success vs. consistent failure! So I'm quite happy with my 2-hole tip.

I'm just guessing, but manufacturers probably know best (!?) what tips to install on a given model machine -- the one that works best with a given machine's steaming ability (although there are "Latte Art" tips, the OEM tips SHOULD work quite well) -- so I just kept at it a while longer until NOW I'm doing WAY better.

Do I have skill enough to control exactly the type foam I get, or the ratio of foam/microfoam (as required by different drinks)? No...but compared to what I was getting earlier (actually, NOT getting) it's WAY better. It's my skill lacking, not the tip. I'm sure for a very experience Barista, he/she can play different hole # tips like a violin, but I'm not there yet (if ever), so the 2-hole tip that came with my machine is fine.

I expect in time my steaming skills will improve, so I've dismissed the idea of getting a different tip. At least for NOW. When I get comfortable (and consistent) with the 2-hole tip, I can then better judge how a 3-4-hole tip would improve things, IF they would. But for now, I have a way to go as a "Barista" before I can make that call with confidence...so I'm not going to suspect my 2-hole steam tip as the issue like I was doing earlier.

Please note I'm only speaking of myself, not you, so I'm just relating MY experience in case it's helpful.

One more thing: For those espresso machines with the "no-burn" steam wands, some people say the silicone-tubing wand insulation hampers the steaming ability, and they remove said insulation. I'm not advising you to do that (IF you have a no-burn wand) but you might want to research that "problem" as well as the "fix," simple as it seems to be.

Good luck,

-- BR

Eiern

#3: Post by Eiern »

I have had the Classika PID for two weeks. I ripped out the nylon tubing by the way, so it's definitely a burn me wand now. I also wondered about a different tip, but after doing a couple more lattes I have been getting good results (I only make milk drinks for my wife, and have not done more than maybe 10 times, but it's really improving). So give it a little more time, and if you get a tip, let us know how it performs with it! The tips I have found have been to expensive for me to care to try.

Edit: I found a 5 hole tip for the ECM for £5,95 at BellaBarista, so I might give it a go next time I order backflush powder from them.

shutter-man (original poster)

#4: Post by shutter-man (original poster) »

Hi and thanks for both replies!

Eiern - you mean you opened the tip and ripped out the inner tube ? May I ask why ?

Will try to give it another couple of weeks :-).
Actually until now I only used 1 hole tip (Silvia & Expobar) and was kind of used to it with steady results - will try to master the two hole...

Will keep you updated on my search for a 2nd source tip !

Thanks
Ami
Shutter-man

Eiern

#5: Post by Eiern »

Yeah, that's what I did, because I have read of it might improve steaming function. Didn't actually try steaming before, so can't compare to stock.

All I wonder is if the steam is powerful enough for 5 holes, might be, don't know if those 5 holes are smaller, or if dispensing water will be about the same. I start each day (and often each session) by running at least 0,5L water out of the wand to get really fresh water into the boiler.