Steam blasts from brew head - Crossland CC1

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
reddevil11

#1: Post by reddevil11 »

Hi All,

First post after several months of lurking on H-B.com. I used what I read here as the basis for buying my first semi-auto (CC1) after several years of using a superauto (Gaggia Titanium).

I have two Crossland CC1 machines; one I use daily at home and a second that I use at my vacation home (once or twice a month).

The Crossland CC1 at my vacation home has started blasting steam out of the brew head and I cannot figure out why. I first noticed the steam coming out of the relief tube at the conclusion of pulling a shot. Steam also pours out of the brew head if I remove the portafilter and run a flush cycle. It does not happen on the first shot after start up/warm up, only on subsequent shots. Honestly, I do not notice a difference in the taste of the espresso shots, but since I have another CC1 that has never exhibited this behaviour, I am a bit concerned.

Any insight is appreciated.

--Cliff

HoldTheOnions

#2: Post by HoldTheOnions »

It seems like it is just too hot, maybe try turning it down a few degrees and see what happens.

Advertisement
Gig103

#3: Post by Gig103 »

Do all the settings on the PID match between the machines? Maybe an offset is higher on one which would increase the temperature even with the same displayed value?

Any issues with the steam function?

reddevil11 (original poster)

#4: Post by reddevil11 (original poster) »

The PID settings do match between the machines. I forgot to mention in my original post that after the first shot, the temp overshoots by 4-5 degrees, regardless of setting. It does eventually cool down to the configured temp (30 seconds to one minute).

No issues with steaming.

Gig103

#5: Post by Gig103 replying to reddevil11 »

I don't have any solutions for you, but the steam could be a result of that overshoot, which is not normal. Mine always creeped the last degree (i.e. set for 203, after a shot it would get to 202 fast, then sit there for a while before reaching 203 and beeping). If you're under warranty it might be time for a call to the vendor, if nobody on here has any advice.

VeniaCoffee

#6: Post by VeniaCoffee »

I would encourage you to contact Crossland directly, as they will no doubt be of help. From the Crossland website:

+1.206.383.8762
bill (at) crosslandcoffee.com

reddevil11 (original poster)

#7: Post by reddevil11 (original poster) »

Thanks everyone for your responses. I have emailed Bill C. and will update this thread with the outcome.

Advertisement
Valner

#8: Post by Valner »

I'm experiencing the exact same thing. Did you get an update on this?

cmin

#9: Post by cmin »

Had this happen once, ended up I somehow when adjusting settings, adjusted the offset. It was one of the P settings.

For what it's worth mine is set as
P6=2
P7=2
P8=4
P9=0

cleanguy

#10: Post by cleanguy »

My machine started leaking and when I opened it up I realized that the steam unit that froths the milk was the culprit! The first time it happened I contacted Bill Crossland and he sent me a seal kit to repair it: I was able to do so and it held for a while. However, it failed again before Christmas and I am utterly frustrated with Bill Crossland as he will not return my calls, answer emails etc! I have offered to buy the part, pay for shipping but he refuses to reply. I even had a friend call for me and Bill replied right away, but as soon as he gave the serial number, Crossland went ghost! I basically have a machine that is now useless. Has anyone else had this issue with this company? Definitely would not recommend their machines!