La Pavoni Millennium portafilter doesn't fit. Wrong group gasket?

A haven dedicated to manual espresso machine aficionados.
drgary
Team HB

#1: Post by drgary »

My first lever machine is this 2002 La Pavoni Europiccola, a "Millennium" version machine. Here's how it looked when I first got it, with a grinder and all of these accessories for $50. It seemed a deal too good to be true but it wasn't.

I had no idea how to service it at first. Several years down the road I changed the group gasket and didn't know there are two different versions. Suddenly the portafilter started falling out. Not knowing better I filed down the ears and scratched some chrome off the portafilter. But now it worked.

At SCAA last week I bought one of Paul Pratt's Cafelet all-in-one convertible portafilters for the La Pavoni Millennium machine, and a smaller portafilter for prior versions. The Millennium portafilter didn't crank in, so I looked into it. Paul had carefully measured, of course, so the problem wasn't his portafilter. I shaved down the existing group gasket so it would fit and when looking to reorder that part discovered there are two versions for Millennium machines, and I had the wrong one. I then ordered a correct gasket from Stefano's Espressocare, and now the Cafelat portafilter fits just fine. This is the same machine, many mods and upgrades later.

If suddenly your portafilter doesn't fit right, you may have installed the wrong group gasket, even though it is labelled for a Millennium group, (or your piston may be unscrewing from the piston rod and pushing down the shower screen, or less likely, the plastic group sleeve is unscrewing and pushing down the shower screen).

La Pavoni portafilter gasket dimensions were one size from 1/2000 to 3/2008 and again from 4/2010 to present. Stefano gives measurements and differentiates them. I want to emphasize that the gasket used from 3/2008 to 3/2010 is thicker. Here's a photo of those different gaskets on Stefano's parts page.

When you install the group gasket, the square side faces the top of the group. Your portafilter is an excellent wrench for snugging it into place.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

insatiableOne

#2: Post by insatiableOne »

Always a wrench to throw into the works!
I hate it when companies make "corrections" mid-stride then you have to find out from the school of knocks.

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

drgary (in a different thread) wrote: It's a real gotcha if you think you're getting the right Millennium group part and you're not.
+1
And as we all know, even with the manufacture date one never knows for sure which component a machine has. Besides the different group gaskets, there are also are two different millennium groupheads in the factory parts list. Corpo gruppo (part #311114 in chrome) and Corpo gruppo guarnizione quadra (part #3111142 in chrome.) Guarnizione quadra translates to square seal.

Gary - did you notice that one gasket is squarer than the other? Stefano says the odd one (2008-2010) has a slightly smaller diameter but doesn't mention thickness. Which one is the thicker of the two? Edit - srikeout this - Gary plainly said that the odd one is the thicker one. Also, looking closer at Stefano's Item details (http://espressocare.com/products/item/g ... 008-3-2010) I see that he has discussed subtle differences in shape. Not as clearcut as square vs round.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#4: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Both gaskets have a square bottom and a rounded top. The 2008-2010 gasket is noticeably thicker. I would have a good photo except I carved off the excess on my way to discovering this parts snafu.
Gary
LMWDP#308

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#5: Post by drgary (original poster) »

If you are trying to fit a portafilter not manufactured by La Pavoni, you may run into a similar difficulty locking in. Here's an example:
Paul_Pratt wrote:It would appear that there are 2 types of baskets doing the rounds. To remedy this LP have a small chamfer on the inner edge of the portafilter rim. This helps the basket seat down for both types of baskets. I forgot the chamfer :shock: which is causing 1 type of basket to stand higher than another.
Translation: A "chamfer" is a partial bevel.

If changing gaskets doesn't remedy your problem and you've got a Cafelat All In One Portafilter, contact them directly and they'll resolve it for you.
Gary
LMWDP#308