Baratza Forte having trouble feeding beans from hopper to burrs? - Page 2

Grinders are one of the keys to exceptional espresso. Discuss them here.
weebit_nutty

#11: Post by weebit_nutty »

SonVolt wrote:... oily - could that be causing the issue? Any other ideas?
Without doubt. If you want to reduce the amount of oil on the beans, you could drop a paper towel in a colander and then dump in your beans shake them around for the paper to absorb the excessive oils. Or you could change your brew method that uses a larger grind size. Oily beans and a fine grind setting will clog just about any grinder.

I once tried grinding very dark roast for espresso in my HG One.. Halfway through the grinding, the flow ceased. After disassembling the grinder, I found the oils had just gummed up in and around the burrs. Wasted about 2 hours getting everything cleaned and assembled, and even then it took a entire weeks worth (whole bag) of beans before the espresso setting returned to my original marked setting. Never again!
You're not always right, but when you're right, you're right, right?

ajf

#12: Post by ajf »

SonVolt wrote:What method did you use your clean your vario? I'm surprised I'd have to clean a grinder only 2 weeks old. :?:
I removed the hopper, upper, and lower burrs, and used a brush and shop vac to thoroughly clean the residue off the burrs, and the inside of the grinder, then wiped with a clean cloth to completely remove any remaining oils and grounds. I washed the hopper and hopper lid with warm soapy water.
I don't know how similar the Forte is to the Vario, or how to remove the lower burrs on the Forte, but there was sufficient oily residue trapped under the lower burrs to make this necessary in my case.
Failure to clean the oily residue from a grinder can result in the oils going rancid, and imparting a very unpleasant flavor to your coffee.

Alan

SonVolt (original poster)

#13: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

Thanks everyone! I feel a lot better now. I'm going to clean the grinder tonight and see how it goes.

Séb

#14: Post by Séb »

Grindz is good also to remove the residual oil on your burrs: http://www.urnexathome.com/product/Grindz/13166.aspx

SonVolt (original poster)

#15: Post by SonVolt (original poster) »

I took a paper towel and wiped out all the residual oils to the hopper and it's working like a champ this morning. Thanks everyone!

onthego

#16: Post by onthego »

Séb wrote:It has nothing to do with the grinder

Actually it does. It's the 54 mm burr size that creates the problem. My Rocky with the 48 mm burrs is terrible when it comes to grinding oily beans. They don't want to feed through the smaller throat . My 58 mm M4 is much more tolerant of oily beans. They don't jam up the grinder.