Box Drop for even distribution

Beginner and pro baristas share tips and tricks for making espresso.
day

#1: Post by day »

So, I have found that simply dropping the basket on a level surface creates extremely even pours time and time again, and an even place to tamp. Basically a variation of the slap shot (messed up my tamp a little as I was repositioned a little bit for the camera). Check it out.
A different angle
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Do a site search for 'portafilter thump'.
Dave Stephens

day (original poster)

#3: Post by day (original poster) replying to cannonfodder »

I did try a portafilter thump before making the box. The problem i was personally havkng was threefold. One was that my naked portafilter is not perfectly level...total deal breaker. Second was that i sometimes canted the portafilter slightly forward and it seemed to cause the grounds on one side to be of different compression. Finally, i didnt want to use my counter top as thumper and my rancilio box has been intentionally bowed so i can keep my scale turned on inside while grinding...however letting a gentle gravity drop do the work fore has realy been miraculous for my shots.

I can imagine many people dont have my same problems though, but have been so excited by it that i wanted to share in case it helps someone else.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#4: Post by pizzaman383 »

I do a small thump with my basket and my OE ipanema. It very frequently is not level. I see why you did it and like your idea.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

aecletec

#5: Post by aecletec »

I have found it difficult to keep my tapping level also. Dropping onto a flat surface seems like it's rather easier after a few trials. Thanks for the idea.