Anyone using Bonavita 1900?

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
Intrepid510

#1: Post by Intrepid510 »

Just curious I noticed that the new Bonavita autodrippers use a flat bottom design as oppose to the V shape from the previous design. Was curious if anyone had any impressions of the new units.

I.E. I have the old design and it looks like you can just buy the basket for 12 bucks if one feels so inclined.

mainframer

#2: Post by mainframer »

We got our Bonavita 1900 last October and brew about 12 times per week with Sweet Maria coffee roasted in a lower-end Hot Top. Grinders are stock Pharos or Krups whirly-blade. I've been brewing specialty coffee since 1973 in a large variety of systems - Melitta pour-over, Chemex, Krups, Brazen, CCD, percolater,...

The basket works fine - needs to be on as level a surface as possible for the optimum distribution, and you do get better distribution with the flat basket as opposed to a cone.. There is no lid when brewing - just the basket on top of the carafe. If you don't screw the lid onto the carafe soon after brewing, the coffee will start cooling - as long as you get the lid onto the carafe within 10 minutes, it's okay. However, even with the lid, I find that the carafe does not keep the coffee very hot past 90 minutes or so. The carafe benefits from a Full Circle cleaning about every 10-15 brew-cycles. After 4 months, the carafe and brewer lid components (can be disassembled) had no noticeable residue to clean.

One very small quibble - the last 1-2 milliliters of coffee are very difficult to pour out of the carafe.

There is an undocumented feature - to activate the 30-second bloom time, the on switch is held for several seconds, and a light blinks twice. To deactivate, you hold the switch and it blinks once. Aside from carefully listening to the unit while it's brewing or using a timer, you can't tell if bloom-time is activated, once it's activated. They document the switch-holding, but don't mention the number of light-blinks.

We are happy with the coffee from the 1900.

Advertisement
Intrepid510 (original poster)

#3: Post by Intrepid510 (original poster) »

I am just wondering how the flat bottom basket effected brewing. I have the 1800th and it's really nice love the glass lined carafe, hope mine doesn't break. So I will have to buy the new basket eventually since it fits the 1800 per my email from bonavita.