Expobar Brewtus IV sneezing

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
fizguy

#1: Post by fizguy »

I have had my Expobar Brewtus IV (vibe pump) for a couple of years now. Recently, it stopped releasing the brew pressure through the exhaust after shutting down the brew cycle, so that when I take the portafilter off, it "sneezes" coffee and grounds all over the place.

I contacted espressoparts.com and explained the problem. They suggested the following rebuild kit:
http://www.espressoparts.com/parts/espr ... -build-kit

I dis-assembled my group head (thankful for the links to various tutorials I found here), and found that most of the parts I received were not a match for parts in the machine. The springs were different sizes and the washers were made of different material. It was not clear to me which part was supposed to go in which location (there were no instructions provided). Also, there were no "pins" (not sure of the correct name -- those things that stick up such that the cam pushes on them as it rotates). As far as I can tell from reading posts on this forum, the pin is the most likely culprit to my problem. I cleaned everything and put all of the original parts back together. I thought the problem had been solved when a backflush using a blind portafilter exhausted vigorously through the proper orifice, but the first real espresso shot the next morning revealed the problem was not eliminated.

It is worth noting that the taste in the cup improved noticeably after the cleaning, and I now feel much more comfortable taking the thing apart, so the time was not a complete waste.

I suppose the next step is for me to contact whole latte love and see if they have the parts specific for this machine? I was not happy with my experience with espressoparts.com. The package was not delivered in the specified time frame, it was ripped, and all of the parts were not there (not to mention they didn't seem to be the right ones for the machine).

Is there anything else I ought to try?

ontum

#2: Post by ontum »

Did you ever find the solution to this problem?