Current Compak Grinder Conic Nomenclature

Recommendations for buyers and upgraders from the site's members.
boar_d_laze

#1: Post by boar_d_laze »

Compak used to call all of their on demand grinders "Fresh," and all of their big conics were designated K10. Consequently, the Compak big conic on demand was the K10 Fresh, and -- parenthetically -- the big conic with the mechanical doser was the K10 PB (Pro Barista).

However, current big production is now broken into three categories: Fresh, Essential and Pro Barista. The Fresh series are called "F," and the Essential series are called "E." Compak's literature no longer includes the "K10" designation for either the "F" or "E" series. The big conic series with the mechanical doser (three grinders) retains the "K10 PB."

:|

At the end of the day it doesn't matter much. As Juliet said, "What's in a name?"

The most obvious differences between E10 and F10 series grinders are their displays, adjustment schemes, and prices. The F10 uses a side mounted micrometer knob for adjustment, and displays the adjustment position both as a line and a number. In my opinion, those features are worth the extra money for a home user who dials in new coffees every couple of weeks.

It's difficult for me to evaluate the difference that Compak's new motor and lower spin rate make compared to their previous big conics; but as a drive-by impression, I think it's positive. One of the few coffee shops I go to regularly uses an F10 as its primary, espresso only grinder. Its ITC (in the cup) qualities are what you'd expect from a top of the line big conic.

In terms of living with one on a long term basis, I defer to Tom. As far as I'm concerned, his opinion on these sorts of things is gold.

Based purely on what I want from and on how I use a grinder, and not as a recommendation for anyone else, if I were buying a new grinder tomorrow, I'd buy another Ceado E92.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

malling

#2: Post by malling »

Personally I think it's a good thing that Compak changed the initial letter in front of the number, it where just causing unnecessary confusing in conversations because they had more then one k10 before the summer of 2014.

It makes allot more sense that every series uses a different initial letter, it makes it easier to recognize each version when it's not accompanied by a picture, especially in a conversation where not everyone are writing or saying the whole name, allot thought about the Fresh version when someone where writing or telling about their experience or problems with a k10 (in my experience), especially in my own country, where very few where familiar with the dosered k10pb, so many though that I where talking about the fresh model, although i where in fact talking about the doser version.

in the future when people find out that the Fresh has changed the initial letter, everyone would knows that k=Doser(PB), F= Fresh OD (gear, worm driven), E= Essential OD (Collar adjusted) - unless the grinder is dated pre 2014

Although it doesn't really mean anything on a day to day basis, or change how these grinder work, it's nice they realized that different series shouldn't resembles each other to much in the name

so glad you brought it up Rich.

But I don't think the lower RPM means anything in a home environment, but in a commercial setting the lower RPM on the Fresh model, might have an impact, the lower RPM on the K10pb however, not so much.

the fans are also quite unnecessary for us, but in a commercial setting I'm sure they appreciate it, just like the red burr.

And then they should take a look at the locking mechanism on the newest grinders, some are apparently suffering with some problems when used with lighter roasted coffee, and that is a shame.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by JohnB. »

malling wrote:But I don't think the lower RPM means anything in a home environment, but in a commercial setting the lower RPM on the Fresh model, might have an impact, the lower RPM on the K10pb however, not so much.
Lower RPM? Looking at the specs for the current K10 PB on Compak's site it shows the Conic PB RPM as 325, same as my 09 K10WBC. The Master Conic is spec'd at 340 RPM.
LMWDP 267

malling

#4: Post by malling replying to JohnB. »

OH it's only the European version that has been slightly reduced then :wink:

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by JohnB. »

malling wrote:OH it's only the European version that has been slightly reduced then :roll:
Your sarcastic attempt at humor might actually be correct for a change. Take a look at the specs listed in the Compak K10 WBC Owner's Manual. RPM for the 120v/60hz version is much lower (265rpm) then the European 230v/50hz model (340rpm).
http://www.compakgrinders.com/web_old/d ... so_ENG.pdf

When I bought mine (1/2009) the rpm was advertized as either 300 or 325 in the U.S.
LMWDP 267

malling

#6: Post by malling »

that look exactly like the Manual from the 2011 models, as it correspond with the 340rpm seen on the 230v 50hrz from 2011

But this is not the right specification for the 2014-15 models, the 230v 50hrz is rated at 230rpm

the 2014 mode, 110v 60hrz is rated at 400rpm, so it spins faster then the 2011 model that where rated at 268rpm and the 2009 model at 3-325rpm :shock:

http://www.compak.es/en/k10-conic-pro-barista-4.php

It looks like the k10, E10, F10 is now rated at the same, so I guess all of them are using the same type of motor, there where bigger differences before as far as I recall.

ps. I used the wrong emoticon

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by JohnB. »

Lots of misleading info out there on the Compak specs; much of it in Compak manuals. This 1St Line link has the 760w/300rpm specs for the 120v U.S. Pro Barista that followed my WBC. http://www.1st-line.com/store/pc/Compak ... -p3054.htm

The spec plate on my 09 WBC shows 680W but all the articles I read on it back then said it was actually 760W. Who knows but I seriously doubt that the K10 rpm jumped up & down from year to year since the power stayed the same until it went to 800w recently.
LMWDP 267