Stella espresso maker

Coffee preparation techniques besides espresso like pourover.
michael

#1: Post by michael »

I have a Stella Lucido, the 6 cup model which I believe holds around 9 ounces of water in the bottom

I haven't used this for years and just ordered some new gaskets. I was hoping someone would have a recipe, how much coffee, how much water, how much heat off the gas stove, how do I know when it done etc. that I could use as a starting point; do I grind to the same fineness that I would use for my pump machine 8)

boxerboxer

#2: Post by boxerboxer »

keepitsimple

#3: Post by keepitsimple »

michael wrote:I have a Stella Lucido, the 6 cup model which I believe holds around 9 ounces of water in the bottom

I haven't used this for years and just ordered some new gaskets. I was hoping someone would have a recipe, how much coffee, how much water, how much heat off the gas stove, how do I know when it done etc. that I could use as a starting point; do I grind to the same fineness that I would use for my pump machine 8)
Water - Just below the safety valve.

Coffee - level and smoothed - not tamped - to the top of the basket.

Grind - slightly coarser than for a pump espresso machine. Pre-ground Italian espresso like the vacuum bricks of Lavazza, is intended for these devices, so you could compare with some of that.

Heat - medium (if that means anything) until the first drops appear, then drop the heat so there is just a slow steady stream.

Knock off the heat once the brew is about to finish (you'll need to do a test brew to see how much is produced, then you will know where this point is).

These were never designed to be sophisticated brewing devices. Some folk have determined very refined procedures for using them, so you will read many many variations, including whether to start with cold or hot water. I take the view that they're more artisan devices designed originally to produce a hefty breakfast brew. With a bit of tinkering you should find a technique that gives you something you like.

They make a very good cafe au lait, which is what I use mine for.

cmin

#4: Post by cmin »

Since it's stove top/moka, pretty much same procedure as posted above as other Moka pots. Could also look into Cuban style (various ways), growing up in South FL that's a staple with Moka pots, delicious, aka liquid crack lol. We make Coladas and of course do the sugar frothing with the initial drips.

michael (original poster)

#5: Post by michael (original poster) »

thanks

im going get a "brick" to check out my pot as soon as the gaskets show up 8)