New WBC Rules for 2016

Want to talk espresso but not sure which forum? If so, this is the right one.
Marshall

#1: Post by Marshall »

World Coffee Events (organizer of the World Barista Championships), announced two important changes to the WBC rules, which will take effect next year in Dublin. One is a step toward great conformity and the other toward greater diversity. First, the equipment playing field will now be leveled, with each competitor required to use the same espresso machine (the NS Victoria Arduino) and grinder (Mahlkoenig K30 Vario). Mahlkoenig will provide 30 grinders for the competitions, so no one will have to ship one on a plane.

Second, the strict "cappuccino" category has been abandoned, with baristas allowed to make a variety of single shot milk drinks. More details will be disclosed at the Seattle WBC in two weeks.

Press release here: http://www.worldcoffeeevents.org/evolving-the-wbc-2016/.
Marshall
Los Angeles

Bob_McBob

#2: Post by Bob_McBob »

Are these brand new grinders with factory fresh burrs?
Chris

Marshall (original poster)

#3: Post by Marshall (original poster) replying to Bob_McBob »

I don't know.
Marshall
Los Angeles

sweaner

#4: Post by sweaner »

So, one rule change makes it more interesting, the other makes it less interesting...
...interesting. :roll:
Scott
LMWDP #248

russel

#5: Post by russel »

Despite my love of the EK, I think I like the grinder rule change. Allowing outside equipment gives participants with better financial backing access to tools that the less well funded competitors can't even consider using (and the heart break of a grinder damaged in transit). I expect that there will be a trickle down effect to the national competitions. I think I'm on board with a level mechanical playing field. It does signal that technical shot pulling innovation is not the focus of the competition, but then it has never been an espresso-throwdown or an equipment showdown, so that shouldn't get anyone too hot and bothered.
russel at anacidicandbitterbeverage dot com

jbviau
Supporter ★

#6: Post by jbviau »

Still no compulsory service, right? The Brewers Cup includes one, and I think it's important, since we're talking about a level playing field.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias