Rancilio Silvia brew switch not working

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
El Dudero

#1: Post by El Dudero »

Hi all,

This is my first post. Happy to know that there's a virtual community for home baristas.

I recently purchased a Rancilio Silvia with the Rocky grinder. I brew 4 espressos a day on average. Everything has been working well until yesterday. The brew switch suddenly stopped functioning. Everything else works: Machine turns on, boiler reaches the right temperature, both steam and hot water switches work.

But when I turn the hot water switch on the coffee brew switch suddenly becomes functional, meaning if I press it it works / the light comes on and the water comes through the group head filter holder. I made one espresso this way and it was no good.

Please help a coffee addict out :D

BillRedding

#2: Post by BillRedding »

El Dudero,

I have a Rancilio Silvia also (although I just upgraded to a new machine recently).

Your situation is unusual in that the Rancilio uses high-quality/commercial-grade switches (and other components) designed for LOTS of on/off cycles...so I'd never expect them to give any trouble for a LONG time...even if then. Mine sure didn't, and the Silvia is known for its longevity as some people have been using them (I guess the v1 model) without issue for 10-15 years! It's a high-quality machine, as you know I'm sure. So is the Rocky grinder.

Have you taken off the top panel (4 screws) and looked at the Brew Switch to see if the wires are connected properly (not loose) or if the contacts show burn marks or whatever? Or if you notice anything else in there that looks unusual?

The good news is that since the Silvia is such a simple machine -- and so many people have or HAVE had one -- you are bound to find the problem fairly soon, especially when more knowledgeable people respond here.

-- BR